URGENT HELP NEEDED! CANT GET INTO CAR, DEAD BATTERY

floyd 1.8 turbo

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre
Reaction score
As above, cars been sitting around for 2 weeks while i've been on holiday and the battery's dead. Cant get into the car, key doesn't unlock manually.

Need to get in there before midday to take the rear seats out for the phoenix!!

Please help!!!!!!!!!

p.s
I'm not a member of any recovery services, my cousin works for the RAC but might not be able to make it to my work this morning

Thanks

Holy jesus! - You could try using a coathanger up through the grill to pop the bonnet release catch/cable. I did this on a saab, it works with luck on your side.....theres no rush mate ref arriving at mine....

Ollie

bonnet catch can be popped from underneath with a long poking thing if you jack it up, cant be done through grill that i know of

Sorted now, managed to put some jump leads onto some metal rods that i put onto the terminals through the holes in the scuttle. Put the leads onto my brothers mk3 and open sesame!!!

Why you cant manually open the lock with the key is beyond me. How stupid!

Your lock must be broken/siezed as both of my cars have had working locks on the drivers door and boot, and the prefacelift has one pass side too

On our old car, the linkage between the door barrel and the lock mechanism had snapped on the drivers door.

There appears to be a bit of redundancy in the lock mechanism, in that when you turn the key, the barrel activates the microswitch for the locking system, and also pulls on a linkage which runs to the latch. Obviously if the battery goes dead, the key should still open the drivers door by the mechanical linkage.

Under normal circumstances on the FWD, it would unlock perfectly fine with the key, as the central locking would be triggered and do its thing.

As mark says though, you should have been able to get in thru the passenger door if its a pre-facelift and the boot too.

I could get into the boot but theres a metal bulkhead behind the rear seats so i still couldn't get into the car. I tried the key in both doors and nothing happened, tried about 5 times and nothing happened until the battery had some charge in it.
The key normally works manually, when the battery isn't flat that is!

Linkage must be broken on both doors then! Take the door card off and have a peek.

Central locking pump is in the boot, so you' have been able to feed some power in there etc.