LOCATED AND TERMINATED THE DREADED RPM RELATED RALLTLE!!!!

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
First off hello fellas hope everyones alright....

As the longer term members are aware I had the rpm related rattle that was only audible under load. I was bored the other day so I checked again for it. It was defo coming from the nearside manifold area and I was resigned to it being the usual old/pre facelift manifold prob so was bracing myself for a hefty session!!! HOWEVER, I had previously tightened the bolts on both the heatshields to no avail. This time I removed the nearside heatshield only and found that the rattle is now completely gone!! :rock:Seems as though it was just too close to the manifold and they were touching when I inspected them. I have left the offside shield on as I don't want excessive heatsoak around the airbox region. I hope things will not get too hot in the bay now the nearside shield has been removed.

Feedback on this gents?................Ollie:sm4:

Good news Ollie, nothing worse than an annoying noise when driving.

As for the heat issue, i cant see it being a major issue, would say the shields more to protect direct contact to the manifold rather than reduce heat dissipation, time will tell thou.

a big function of the heatshield is to direct heat back to its source and away from what its being shieldsed against

cant see it being the end of the world though

Many thanks guys. I will see how it gets on, if its a drama I will have to buy a new one and use some spacers under the bolts when fitting it to ensure they dont ****** touch again!!

Cheers