S4 gearbox options

es

Reaction score
Hi. I've a '99 S4 engine in a mid engine special. Currently running a 2wd gearbox from a 2.6 V6 petrol cabriolet but the gearing is way too low, 4250rpm at 80 mph. Does anyone know if I can fit a box from a V6 diesel? they look the same. If not does anyone know what the longest geared box I can use is? Not worried about mounts or gear linkage being the same as I can change them. Thanks

the mid engine special sounds special... more info on that please!

Thanks for that, am I right in thinking that 4 and 6 pot gearboxes are interchageable? I've 130mm driveshaft flanges, are there any 4 poy diesel boxes with these flanges? I don't want to fit smaller flanges 'cos I've spacers fitted to them and am a bit worried about their strength already!

The bellhousing is the same on all boxes from the B4 platform (ish), All A4's certainly use the same bellhousing.

There are actually two bolt patterns, I4 and V6 are different, but the housings have both on them.

Bigger engined TDi's tend to have the 130mm "tripod" style flanges, the V6 TDi you mentioned will almost certainly have them, as will some of the 130PD engines in later cars (ie not B5's)