Todays timing belt fun!

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Problem 1. Phone rang at midday and I found I'd overslept. Doh!

Got the car over to my mums place and promptly set about taking it apart.

Problem 2. 3/4 of an hour to get the front bumper off! Poxy thing wasn't for moving.

Finally removed bumper and started stripping the rest of the front panel.

Problem 3. Radiator metal hose clip broke up on removal!

Finally get service panel off and start on removing the belts and timing belt cover. Removed the old belt and grabbed the new kit.

Problem 4. Old belt is a 152 tooth belt. This was superceeded by a 153 tooth belt which requires a new hydraulic tensioner kit. More flipping money! Car is still on my mums drive and will be until Tueday when my wallet gets another kicking. :(

30052010373.jpg

Good old Mum though, she's lent me her Ford Focus until I sort it out. Quite happy in all as the Focus is a ****** good drive

Just been there, good luck with the rest of the change.

What tensioner is fitted to the car is it one shown in the photo below

IMG_0054.jpg

Nope that's what I need to change to. The wheel is larger in diameter than what on there and the hydraulinc tensioner actually bolts to the centre of the roller

So your car is still on the factory tensioner, which should have been changed on the first belt change. I also found the same factory tensioner when I did my change, I didn't mind doing the job, but it just makes it a dam sight more expensive.

That it does mate, An extra £65 on Tuesday to GSF, along with whatever a set of auxilery belts cost as they all look a bit sketchy and a rocker cover gasket set as it's leaking. So much for this saving a few quid. On the plus side I got a brand new radiator for £45

Do you also have the later rib belt tensioner, as the older one had a tendency of cutting the belt in half (length ways)

Also had to do the top gasket as I noticed a small leak on the exhaust side.

YEP, below is a picture is the older tensioner
AUDI-TENSIONER-OE-06B903133.jpg

Picture of the later version
058903133D.jpg

When i did mine i just did the full kit. It already had the later hydraulic damper fitted, but why take the chances? If it was a sprung loaded tensioner like is more conventional on fords and suchlike you'd replace it with every belt without even thinking about it.

Ok it means your spending £150 rather than 90 to do the belt, but its a damn sight cheaper than an engine rebuild because the old parts died.

I'm sure just that happened to "ALPINE" on here when he had his A4, timing belt needed done and he cheaped out and just put a new belt on, and about a week later the damper gave out and mashed the motor.

I had been instructed only to replace the tensioner if it absolutely needed it so didn't buy it. It was only when it came apart I found the problem, I don't cheap out on any of my cars, if it needs something it gets itm however I won't just buy stuff for the sakes of it. I push cars far too hard to take a chance. On this occasion I took the word of a so called expert and it turned out to be naff. In future I shall follow my own thoughts