1995 A4 1.8T SPARK PLUGS.

HAWKS

Reaction score
IM THINKING OF CHANGING MY PLUGS.MY CAR IS ABIT SLUGISH UNDER LOAD.THE PLUGS HAVE BEEN IN FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW.IVE READ ON HERE ABOUT NGK BKR6EK's.WOULD THESE BE OK TO USE.
AFTER IDLING FOR A WHILE AN THEN DRIVING OFF I SEE LIGHT BLUE SMOKE WHICH CLEARS QUIKLY.VALVE STEM OIL SEALS. HEAD OFF TO REPLACE?? :sadlike:

Last edited:
I have a 1997 1.8T Sport (AEB Engine)I use the Laser Platinum Spark Plugs NGK PFR6Q Stock Number 6458..

I think Audi Charge about £40-£50 for them because they come with a Part number, if you shop around you could pay £20 odd from Motor Factors..

Last edited:
I use the FR78 - Bosch Super 4 Spark Plug I put a set in 8K miles ago and replaced them with the same last week, as I wanted to see what the cylinders were running like. The colour of the plugs looked good and the engine still kicking our 150 horses, so will be sticking with bosch.

Also run my ADR 1.8 on Bosch Super 4 without any problems

I would never use Super 4s again after i fitted a new set when i did the Turbo engine transplant and the car would not start, it would fire, but not go.

Out of desperation i changed the plugs and she fired straight away and has continued to do so ever since. I did once stick the super4s back in as a test, and sure enough the car wouldn't start.
Maybe i happened to have the 4 from a dodgy batch or something, so NGK all the way like Aragorn ^^^^

I got mine from Audi and they were the NGK's. Didn't cost much more than anywhere else. The prices do change and you often get a reasonable deal on service items.

I would never use Super 4s again after i fitted a new set when i did the Turbo engine transplant and the car would not start, it would fire, but not go.

Out of desperation i changed the plugs and she fired straight away and has continued to do so ever since. I did once stick the super4s back in as a test, and sure enough the car wouldn't start.
Maybe i happened to have the 4 from a dodgy batch or something, so NGK all the way like Aragorn ^^^^

Had the same problem with a set of NGK's, when I did get the car to fire it ran like a bag of spanners had been chucked into the engine, ripped them out and replaced with Bosch, never used NGK again and never will.:sadlike:

Last edited:
MIXED THOUGHTS ON THE PLUGS THEN.I WILL TRY NGK's.ITS BEEN RUNNING ON THE 4's.
IM MORE BOTHERED ABOUT THE LIGHT BLUE SMOKE.WHAT SORT OF A JOB IS IT TO DO...

I think he means what sort of job is it to fix the blue smoke!

Its probably valve stem seals, assuming it happens upon start up, and if the engines been left idling.

Its possible on some engines to do the stem seals without removing the head. You apply some kinda pressure to the cylinder, via an airline or similar, to hold the valves closed, then you can use the valve spring compressor etc without the valve dropping into the cylinder. Its quite a big job though, as you still need to pull the timing belt, camshafts, lifters etc just to get into the valves, then your fiddling around bent over the engine. Its not that much more work to simply pull the head off though, you'd just need the additional gaskets and bolts.

CHEERS ARAGORN.
IT DOES THE LIGHT BLUE SMOKE WHEN COLD AFTER IDLING FOR ABOUT 1MIN AND WHEN AT NORM RUN TEMP TOO.ITS NOT BAD JUST ANOYING. THE OLD GIRL HAS DONE 138,OOO.STILL GOES WHEN YOU WIND HER UP.I WILL LET IT DEVELOPE UNTIL IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE.
CHEERS.

Only thing you might find, is if you leave it too long it'll turn into a full engine rebuild.

A mates mum has an astra, which was smoking as you described, they pulled the head and fitted new stem seals, and it abated for a few weeks, then slowly returned. They ignored it for ages until it failed an MOT for excessive smoke, at which point they took the head off again to see what was wrong. Turned out they'd nicked a couple of the seals when replacing them last time, so they fitted new stem seals again, this time the smoke improved, but it didnt completely clear and the engine smoked all the time after that. They recon that it burning oil for so long has gummed up the piston rings.

They had to pull the motor, and strip it down for a rebuild in the end.

IVE FOLLOWED BEHIND TO WATCH HOW MUCH SHE SMOKES.NO APPARENT SMOKE WHILST DRIVING.IN THE LAST TWO YEARS BETWEEN MOT's ONLY DONE 2,300 MILES.WHEN I CHANGE THE PLUGS I WILL ALSO CHANGE THE OIL IN PUT AN OIL ADD IN.I KNOW THATS NOT GOING TO STOP THE SMOKE BUT JUST TO HELP ABIT.I THINK BECAUSE THE CAR IS NOT USE VERY MUCH NOW.THE SEALS MY HAVE STUCK TO THE VALVES AN TORN WHEN STARTED UP AFTER A WHILE.