EM TuningBadger5
    6th Gear

Status

Anyone want a decat?

When I put my 1.8T through it's MOT early this year, it just about passed the emissions and the tester had to run the engine for a good 10 minutes before the emissions where low enough for it to scrape through. I also checked the MOT history on the car and it's failed the last few MOT's on emissions, but passed the retest (Somehow)!

So the cat & manifold was replaced today. I managed to get a new cat genuine cat from ebay for just over 100 and I got a manifold for 15. One thing to note was the manifold was from a B6 1.8T & the cat had a part number which indicates it was only for a quattro version of the 1.8T. However both fitted perfectly without any modifications required.

When I ripped off the old cat I found a completely empty cat, the dam thing had been through a decat, so if anyone want a free decat, cat! then then send me a PM, the only cost would be the postage. However you may find it difficult to pass the emission tests in the future.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Wheels urgently needed

Status
    Just bought the downpipe and cat from cats to u on ebay too 100 delivered excellent value considering local tyre exhaust fitters up here wanted 340 fitted for it!! Manage to get a centre section and back box also for it on ebay for 100 delivered from Germany, so front cat middle and back box all cost 200 delivered to ma front door, then I got same company who quoted 340 for front & cat to fit them for me for 100

6th Gear

Status
    I had already replaced the downpipe, got one from a VW dealers in Leeds, as the flexi section had almost completely failed. Would be interested to see how long aftermarket system lasts as you can easy get over 100K miles & 12 years from an OEM system.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    My cat was the same lol.

I suspect when they get old they get blocked up, and someone just whips them off and knocks the guts out as a "get me by" quick fix.

The bolts on mine suggested it had been on there like that for a LONG time, yet had "passed" numerous MOT's perfectly fine.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    Finished the job off this morning, and the whistling noise & exhaust blowing noise have gone, so I've now got a nice quiet motor as the whistling noise was driving me mad....

I think the my cat had been gutted about 4 years ago as that was when I noticed the emissions were first listed as a failure on the MOT history web site.

Low Life

Status
    Go on then... I'll take it off your hands.

Let me know how much the postage will be.

Cheers,

Giles
    NEW 6 cylinder 40mm front springs - £40

PM me for more info

6th Gear

Status
    Wish you had posted that this early morning, it went to the dump with the manifold at 10am this morning... sorry
    Last edited by B5NUT; 1st June 2010 at 15:27.