Anyone want a decat?

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
When I put my 1.8T through it's MOT early this year, it just about passed the emissions and the tester had to run the engine for a good 10 minutes before the emissions where low enough for it to scrape through. I also checked the MOT history on the car and it's failed the last few MOT's on emissions, but passed the retest (Somehow)!

So the cat & manifold was replaced today. I managed to get a new cat genuine cat from ebay for just over £100 and I got a manifold for £15. One thing to note was the manifold was from a B6 1.8T & the cat had a part number which indicates it was only for a quattro version of the 1.8T. However both fitted perfectly without any modifications required.

When I ripped off the old cat I found a completely empty cat, the dam thing had been through a decat, so if anyone want a free decat, cat! then then send me a PM, the only cost would be the postage. However you may find it difficult to pass the emission tests in the future.:banghead:

Just bought the downpipe and cat from cats to u on ebay too £100 delivered excellent value considering local tyre exhaust fitters up here wanted £340 fitted for it!! Manage to get a centre section and back box also for it on ebay for £100 delivered from Germany, so front cat middle and back box all cost £200 delivered to ma front door, then I got same company who quoted £340 for front & cat to fit them for me for £100 :beee::yahoo:

I had already replaced the downpipe, got one from a VW dealers in Leeds, as the flexi section had almost completely failed. Would be interested to see how long aftermarket system lasts as you can easy get over 100K miles & 12 years from an OEM system.

My cat was the same lol.

I suspect when they get old they get blocked up, and someone just whips them off and knocks the guts out as a "get me by" quick fix.

The bolts on mine suggested it had been on there like that for a LONG time, yet had "passed" numerous MOT's perfectly fine.

Finished the job off this morning, and the whistling noise & exhaust blowing noise have gone, so I've now got a nice quiet motor as the whistling noise was driving me mad....

I think the my cat had been gutted about 4 years ago as that was when I noticed the emissions were first listed as a failure on the MOT history web site.

Go on then... I'll take it off your hands.

Let me know how much the postage will be.

Cheers,

Giles

Wish you had posted that this early morning, it went to the dump with the manifold at 10am this morning... sorry:crying:

Last edited: