Interior Question

pipewerkz

Reaction score
On the 2000 S4 (not sure about other models)..
Whats the deal with the "check engine" symbol on the lid of the ash tray for the rear seats? (right behind the arm rest near the floor).

if its the same as mine, its where you plug in ya laptop, vag com to reset/check fault codes

i agree with snoop, open the ashtray, the the rhs side there should be a black cover, pull that off and there should be a plug under it. its for vagcom as far as im aware.

Remapping aswell; Revo, APR etc use the port for re-programming the ECU. Different method of changing the code to good old-fashioned re-chipping, but gives the same results.

Drew.

it is the Obt2 reader plug-in (I'm not sure if the name is right)

If you have a check engine light on, plug it in it tells u the code of whats wrong...then you go to the book for Audi A4 1996 and check the code and you find out whats wrong with out the fee of a dealer or service shop checking it.

the reader itself is about 300$ US

You need a laptop with Vag-com software on it and the lead to plug in to the socket and laptop which will enable to do what the dealer dose read codes reset codes get data reading of various info and activate other features that may be switched of etc etc

Yes.. I understand what it does. Is the RJ45 connector in the armrest that plug or is there supposed to be another type of connector that should be under that panel near the rear ashtray.

Sambo: Im new to this, but I would def. say that it is more comprehensive.. otherwise what would be the point of it.

pipewerkz: fair point ... at least more presentable (i.e. on the laptop etc. and showing more than one thing at a time). However, if you just wanted to do a self check, knowing the codes could be accessed from the climate control panel might save someone forking out $300+ for all the required kit etc. Dunno, just a thought! :)

The RJ45 type plug in the armrest is for a mobile phone kit

And the one in the rear ashtray is a OBDII port for diagnostics, you can buy from ebay or VAG-COM a device to read error codes and change settings in the ECU.

The OBDII socket looks a bit like a scart socket,

hth Ronny