air box mod - whos done it

205man

Reaction score
ive been considering doing the airbox mod here as its cheap easy mod to do, but was wonderin who has do it and what are the pros/cons,

i wasnt going to cut large hole instead alot of smaller ones with some sort protection mesh over them

also my airbox doesnt look like the inside, mine doesnt have the chamber sort of thing inside but does have a sort of blanked of plug/whole in the bottom.....dont think it makes any difference but just wondered the purpose of the inner section

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?190394-DIY-B5-A4-1.8T-Air-Box-Mod

TBH i don't think this mod is worth doing,

firstly, the wheel arch liner is there for a reason, you will just get more dirt and crap ingress reducing life of the airfilter and if gets past that will effect the life of the turbo and engine.

Secondly on a turbo charged engine cold air makes little difference as u've got a turbo running next to 200-600+ degrees exhaust gasses and during compression will also get heated up, so the air going in will always be hotter than the ambient and only evet get as cold as the ambient temp, which has a small effect.

Thirdly the intake noise will only apply no an N/A engine, on a turbo possibly hear more spool up noise.

If you want a real power gain proven cold air kits are worth the money, plus the densist air is found to be approx 15cm off ground level so you would benefit from a cold air feed at this level with a good flow and the ram effect would help at high speeds.

mine isnt a turbo its the 2.8 v6 30v......so dont have the heat from the turbo to worry about

i was thinking of removing the blanking plug (which is there apparently for when fitted to the rs4 as the have a secondary air valve), then running a pipe to the front.

were you also trying to say as mine is n/a engine the intake noise would increase alot

On craigs S4 we cut a big hole in the bottom of the filter housing, but DIDNT cut the arch liner.

That way you've removed the restriction that the OE snorkel presents, but arent filling the filter with road grime.

We noticed no difference in intake noise whatsoever, but he is running a standard paper filter.

Hello 205. I have a 2.8 too. I have cut my airbox but retained the archliner. I am running a K&N panel filter. I noticed an audible sound in induction bit not a massive one. I did look into running a feed pipe from the front but didn't think there was sufficient space for one in that area. I found there were too many components in the way to put anything worthwhile there.

I did a cold air feed into my airbox a while back.

There are pics on page 2 of this thread.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?44779-Couple-of-new-bits-fitted.-Few-pics./page2

I did not take the bumper off to fit and I admit it was a fiddle. I did when I had the bumper off to paint the intercooler tidy up the hose but not by much. I think it was fine by just taking out the headlight.

Oh and I dont think I really noticed all that much difference. I do not use the car that regularly now so is hard to tell. But I dont think it would do any harm.

I would think the only mod that's worth doing to do to a standard airbox is to smooth the inside of it out by removing the plastic ribbing allowing the air to flow a little smoother.

Drilling/cutting the lower box will probably not do a lot to your cars' performance...

tests have been done over on the cgti board

as long as the inlet into the box is the same or a touch bigger than the outlet for the box, then you have nothing to gain by enlarging it.

i never got round to measuring up the s4 airbox dimensions

I have. Cut a huge section out of the bottom. Increased intake noise but sounds retarded so I'm replacing it. :)