Post/Prefacelift Hybrid centre console......A work in progress.

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents! I have started my centre console build. I was going to do the full conversion to a double din with dvd, but have since changed my mind to something a bit more interesting and unique/on-off (and the fact that my better half has just twisted my arm into dishing out £600 for a bionic all singing all dancing Mamas & Papas cot....Bang goes my new front arms until next month......!!!!).
So, the first thing I did was get hold of a facelift button surround/facia and cupholder and hazard switch (just the triangle part of it, as this clips onto the old type one). Previously I located the ugly 80 style heated rear window switch and the rear fog light switch buttons to underneath the steering cowling. So unless you knew they were there you wiuld never see them. I have retained the pre-facelift cage and for the moment aircon display. At the mo its 50% complete. Still to do is cover the thing with 3M DI-NOC CF (which will take care of the gap you can see). The top part however will remian (at the mo anyway, unless it looks crap!) Piano black. I will be adding a facelift aircon control unit that I will be fabricating to fit (trust me, a will=a way!). The final aim is for the OE look, nice and tidy/clean but one-off non the less. Below is where I am at so far...........

FACELIFTTOPFACIAWITHFACELIFTHAZARDS.jpg

I will be swapping the cup holder to the other side, and the TPMS will be flushed to the facia on the right hand side, where the buttons usually live. The pre-facelift ashtray will be staying, and I will be investing in a flush fit aftermarket HU (this Sony one sticks out a bit, I do not like it!). Thanks to Aragorn for supplying me with the colour codes for hardwiring the TPMS......

Ollie :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
getting there Ollie will looks miles better once you fully convert it, with the climate and ashtray.... good work!

I think the top bit with the buttons is what makes the biggest difference, so even leaving the rest as is, it looks far better.

Just need to see how it all looks when its finished!

Thanks guys. Ref the buttons, I hear you! ****** great ugly ********, so they were! Should be finished by Monday, assuming the Di-Noc arrives on time. The biggest challenge so far was getting the hazard swithch and the cup holder to fit nicely, as the WHOLE cage/fittings are still pre-facelift! Oh by the way, check out this website where I got the Di-noc from. Amazing prices and you can even get a £1 sample with free posting so you can evaluate it for yourself. I did, its very good!......

http://www.undergroundgraphics.com/Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl/Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-by-3M/p-728-2137/

Its a shame some forums took the biscuit, as the samples used to be free! I bet it was the Vauxhall and Peaugot lot!! Splitters!! Lol!!!

Thanks mate. Will look a lot better when its DI-NOC'ed and finished! Just couldn't be ***** with the ballache of a double din facelift swap-up with dvd and custom facia! Next best thing though! On that note, I now have a full facelift double din with all parts to make it fit for sale.........Sorry Byzan!lol! This is happening loads here now! People selling their stuff !!! lolololol!!!!

pm sent re double din

wheres your switches? tell tale light on rear fog is supposed to be visable to pass mot unless you have a friendly tester

looking forward to finished pics, like it when someone does something different

Thanks mate. I have replied to your pm......I didn't know about the foglight button/has to be visible! Thanks for the heads up though!! I will have to move it JUST for it's MOT!
The switches (heated rear window, and rear fogs) are now located on the cover under the steering wheel. Here is a pic......

REARSCREENHEATERSWITCHREARFOGLIGHTR.jpg

Hello guys an update as promised.......

So I decided to sack the pioneer DVD single din HU and get an Alpine one instead (the quality of the music is sooooooo much better with the Alpine unit). I also got hold of a another cup holder to fill the gap the TPMS was covering. I have re-located the TPMS to the small section of plastic trim near the instrument cluster....

First thing I had to do was measure the gap between the post facelift top section and the old bottom section, before joining them together so the whole thing is one piece....

JOININGTOPANDBOTTOMFACIASTOGETHER.jpg

I did this using a thin piece of Aluminum and Araldite adhesive....

TOPANDBOTTOMFACIAJOINED.jpg

Looking very messy!-When it was dry I did a test fit to to ensure the panel clipped in how it should do and the top section was sitting perfectly. It was so I began applying the 3M DI-NOC carbon fibre vinyl....

APPLYINGDI-NOC.jpg

As stated by "IN2DEEP", this stuff is very easy to work and gives amazing results! The finished article.....

FINISHEDDI-NOCCEDCENTREFACIA.jpg

And fitted to the car.

DI-NOCCEDCENTREFACIA.jpg

DONE!

Last edited:
top job there mate looks the business....

ive got couple sheets of that di-noc carbon any tips on applying it?

Thanks mate! - I'm no expert but this is how I did it.....Peel the backing off the 3M and lie it flat on a good clean work surface obviously sticky side up. Take the bit/part you want 3M'ed (make sure it is as clean as a whistle-the 3M sticks a lot better) and place it carefully onto it. Press down on it reasonbly hard. Now pick it up and using a palstic card (I used my nectar card-only thing its good for!) run it over the 3M to ensure all air is expelled.For the edges you need a heatgun or your other halfs hairdryer. As soon as the 3M is exposed to the heatit becomes very agile/pliable. Don't expose it for any longer than a few seconds or it will distort/fade. Once heated you can mould it around the edges of almost anything. Its almost like fablon! Great stuff!

It certainly looks a LOT better than the earlier console, but theres a few bits i'm not sure about...

Where you've joined the two halves together, the DiNOC changes shade, looks lighter almost... Did you fill the gap, or just bridge the gap with the film?

Also, i'd think it would look better if you had merged the stereo fascia "adaptors" with the front panel before applying the film, as it would make it flow a lot better?

Oranco, it's a B7 S-line steering wheel. Ebay. £80. Airbag cover only. £80. Ebay.
Aragorn, agreed, I filled in the gap, but was a bit gung-ho with the sanding process and it receeded a little too much. The way it looks in the pic exaggerates what it looks like in real life due tho the angle, you can hardly notice it when your sitting in the car.....Ref joining the stereo adapters to the facia, its a good idea, but wouldn't be so user friendly come removal time, as I am always tinkering in that region.

Last edited: