Rear Spring question

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
Just had the rear springs replaced, due to MOT failure - broken springs, only problem is that when the car came out of the garage the rear end was sitting higher than normal.
I was told that they would settle after a while.
I have driven 150miles since and the springs are showing no sign of settling.

How long would it take for springs to settle?
How can I check whether I have had the correct springs fitted?

Ps the car is a '99 TQS

When you say the car is sitting higher than normal, do you mean it is sitting higher than normal before the rear springs broke?
If you had broken springs on the rear then the car would be lower due to the broken springs.
I also doubt that it would settle as the garage suggested.

well it's going to be higher than it went in due to the original snapped springs.

Sport springs cannot be bought aftermarket, so unless they bought the springs direct from the dealer or TMS then they will NOT be sport springs

My broken spring caused the car to sit around 5-10mm lower than the unbroken spring, and upon removing the broken bit and squaring up the spring, its now sitting about 10-15mm lower. So if the broken bits had fallen out, then i would expect it to have raised by about 15mm tops.

As mark says though, the only way you'll have proper sport springs on there are if they baught them from a dealer, and they're about 70 quid each. If they've fitted non-sport springs, it will raise the car by around 30mm.

Audi springs have a color code on them, basically some splodges of paint, in different colors. Check to see what color the springs are, and compare with ETKA, or post them up and i'll look them up for you.

Here's some pics of the ride heights front (old springs) and rear (new springs)

Front left
16052010803.jpg

Front right
16052010800.jpg

Rear left
16052010802.jpg

Rear right
16052010801.jpg

To be honest the rear and front ride heights didn't look noticeably different before being told that both rear springs were broken. (and yes I really need to sort the wheels out :rolleyes:)

So you reckon I got dicked with a pair of standard springs?

Ps Had a quick look and the springs are black if that helps

The audi springs are black, but with colored blobs on them.

That arch gap is comical mate! This is ours, on the "good" side:

100_3767.JPG

I feared as much :(

Where abouts on the spring would the colored blobs be, top, middle, bottom?

Just had a look, couldn't see any paint blobs but could see some green numbers. Couldn't make out what they were as it getting dark.

Me thinks I shall have to contact garage about this.

On my bill it states 2 x Rear coil springs (Product code ZDF154) £67.00+vat each

Just for that final comedy moment, here's how my car looks now;

17052010804.jpg

Would be ok if it was red with a white stripe and two seventies cops in it :busted_cop:

Seriously though this has got to have a BAD effect on handling, stiff at the front, not-so-stiff at the back and higher centre of gravity.

Haven't noticed too much difference but I've only driven it on the motorway so far, off to Cornwall at the weekend, windy roads with a boot load of holiday-type stuff, so that could be interesting.

100_6133.jpg

Thats mine on a £69 ebay set and alloy front uprights ( lowers the car by at least 10mm) as i wasn't spending £70 per spring when i wanted at least 2

Here is how she was post Ebay spring set
100_5511.jpg

And when i first got her home with one broken rear and one broken front spring
100_4712.jpg

Have you got a link to the ebay set?

the seller was racedynamics2u but i cannot find the springs i bought atm, maybe they have them, but are not listing them?

Hmm, had a chat with the garage.

They still reckon that they've fitted the Sports springs and that I just need to give them a bit longer to settle. Measured the gaps when I got home (once I slapped myself for even remotely considering that the garage was right). The front gap is 40mm and the rear is....wait for it......75mm :wtf:
Only 35mm to 'settle'.
I'm going to be polite (plus I need the car at the weekend as we are going to Cornwall for relaxation) and give it till Monday to drop a miraculous 35mm then I shall be getting this sorted once and for all :asskicking:
Mind you, a few people have said the car looks quite good like it is, I did the decent thing and suggested that they seek professional help :tocktock:

Do you want to swap with me? This is quite amusing. I am now on the second set of tires in 8 000 miles on the rear on my quattro!!
The camber is definetely too large. I have more than 2 degrees negative camber.
I suspect it is because of the rear springs having been replaced with the wrong ones for my car.
I have sport suspension 1BE on mine and I think the rear ones should have one white and one pink.( paint spots)
I never checked mine, but i must have sport springs on it because it very low and very stiff.

Springs dont settle. Its a bit of metal ***.

The only way it could "settle" is if the spring rate changed, and the only way that would happen is if the metal had fatigued, ie sagged.

The only settling that will happen is when you first drop it off the jack, as soon as you drive it off the suspension settles down to the appropriate height.

If they baught the springs from Audi, ask to see the part number/invoice. If they baught them from somewhere else, then they WONT be the correct Quattro Gmbh springs your car originally had fitted.

No aftermarket manufacturer makes pattern springs for OEM "sport" kits from any manufacturer. Be it a Vectra or a BMW or an Audi. It would probably be less faff just to get an Eibach pro-kit fitted.

My S4 is noteably higher at the rear now that I have replaced the rear springs. My older springs, one with a broken coil made the car sit much lower to the eye. I don't think there is that much in it, but as the normal stock gap is there now, I notice it. Mine doesn't look unbalanced but I am sure if I replaced the fronts it would sit slightly higher at the front too.

I personally think they do vary over enough time and you can't compare old with new.