AH FabricationsBadger5
    staylowmovefast

Status

Double Din Head Unit Options

Hello Gents! Once again I hope everyone is well.......

A friend of mine in the salvage business has just sent a full facelift dash/centre console my way. It is the double DIN variety. Everything I need for the conversion is present minus the double DIN stereo/Sat Nav part. My question to you guys is what are my options regarding a double DIN head unit? I am looking for something that will be plug and play either OE or aftermarket......Byzan, I notice you have a double din/aftermarket in your car. What is it mate/was it plug and play? Ideally an OE double din headunit from ebay would be ideal, but I really do not want to mess about with re-wiring/buying adapters to make the bloody thing work! The satnav in the scrapyard I told the forum about has been whisked away (kicking myself now, still I bet its gone to a good home!). So what are my options fellas?

Ollie
    IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE SO KEEP ON SMILING

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    If you were to use the stock Symphony headunit, you would need a canbus simulator to get it all working properly afaik, as only '00 cars had the canbus gubbins required. Kufatec do sell them though.

Again the stock RNS-D and RNS-E units (satnav) will probably also require adaptors and simulators to make them work properly.

Aftermarket stuff will probably need a custom fascia. I'm not sure there are any off the shelf double din fascias available for the B5, so you'll probably have to buy a single din one and hack it about.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    The RNS-E can be made to fit if your willing to spend a few quid! You will need a canbus adapter (kufatec 100 approx) and then a modified face plate as shown in pictures Cost of the face plate was 300 to 350 http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...9369&view=next

The cheapest option would be Symphony HU with can bus adapter, then an aftermarket solution.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Pioneer AVH4000 dvd
    with Metra double din/single din conversion kit from the US

staylowmovefast

Status
    Cheers for that fellas! I didn't think fitting a double din head unit/satnav would be such a ballache! You see ICE has never been a strong point as I never used to care much for it(I always preferred listening to the engine and what it was doing!)...So Byzan, I'm interested in the aftermarket setup. All I need is a canbus adapter and a custom facia? Ref the dvd player, did audi ever make something that played dvds for the b5, and ref the pioneer ones etc, do they stop the play function as soon as you start rolling, as I have read/heard this is what they do?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    If your going aftermarket you wont need a canbus adaptor. Just the fascia and the usual ISO leads.

Pioneer has a connection to the handbrake switch to detect when your stationary, but you can always bypass that

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Fired Up!
    Funky Pong Champion

Status
    All video playing devices in view of the driver are meant to only show pictures when the handbrake is on, its just an extra wire that connects onto the handbrake switch, pretty much everybody bypasses it. Think you just connect it onto the ign live or wotever feeds the unit so its constantly fed.

Project RS28 build
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...1-Project-RS28

German cowboy walks into a car showroom and says "Audi".......

staylowmovefast

Status
    Cheers fellas!! So to confirm all I actually need is a facia adapter and I'm cooking on gas!! Fantastic! Think I will log onto the sound gallery website and see what dvd players are up for grabs!! Byzan, whats your pioneer like? Any good? And was it massively costly?-Ollie.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I love it, it has the add on BT unit, so i have a reverse cam, ipod control, USB reader, DVD/DIVx playback,touch screen etc cost me around 250 when the $/ was good. The equiv model is the AVH4200 DVD IIRC and i saw it at Japfest for 299, which is a bargain

staylowmovefast

Status
    Thanks again mate. I'm on it!