TPMS

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Got the sensors for the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System put in the wheels this morning when I finished work. The guy that was doing it at the local tyre place still managed to mess the sensor location up as it cleary states on the sensor "RL" which is rear left, and in all his glory still put it in the front.....The idiot!! The place tried charging me £60 for simply taking the tyres off, re-balancing and putting the wheels back on the car!!! After it was done (and I informed their "tyre technician"-tyre idiot more like it that he had messed it up and made him do it right) I actually laughed at the guy when he said "£60 please". I then told him "******, no way in hell, give you £30 and thats non-negotiable" he agreed to it and looked slightly upset with me. The horrible tyre monkey! Anyway the sensors are doing their job nicely! It does exactly what it says on the tin and gives you an accurate reading of tyre temps and pressures. I have got it plugged into my cigar socket at the mo, but will be hard wiring at the weekend,probably to the pos and off the head unit. I was amazed to see just how much the tyre pressure rises on a motorway journey (fronts went from 32 psi to 38 psi-and the temp went from 19 c to almost 40 c). I like to know exactly whats going on with my tyres as I have been extremely unlucky with blowouts (4 in as many years-all at high speed, very very very lucky not to have crashed on any occasion, just hit the hard shoulder very hard!) so at least now I will get the heads up if anything dodgy is happening to the structure of the tyre(the unit also bleeps and the tyre in questions readout turns red if the pressure is too low/high, or the temp gets too high....GUCCI!!!!) A few pics.......

The LED Display....

tyresure-tyre-pressure-monitoring-s.jpg

The Four Sensors......And again the wireless display(it works off radio frequencies/signals)

TYREPRESSUREMONITORINGSYSTEM.jpg

And fitted to the car.......

TYREPRESSUREMONITOR.jpg

....The top two are the left and right front tyres, and the bottom two the left and right rears.

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice all of the dash buttons missing. I have begun building my custom dash (pics to follow iin a few weeks), and the only three buttons that I have decided to keep (hazard/rear fogs/heated rear screen) have been re-located to underneath the drivers cowling. They are still very easy to reach, but now completely out of sight. The new horn button (thanks again Aragorn) has been put nearby.

Ollie:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Thats neat as f00k. I want one!!

eBay job or somewhere else?

Wonder what the battery life is like on the sensors?

Nice bit of kit that.

Are you surface mounting it or gonna flush it when you hardwire it?

Hello Fellas. The battery life for the sensors is 7 years. When I hard wire it yes I will be installing it flush with the dash/facia. I got mine from Demon Tweeks as suprisingly (I say this due to those guys usually being the most expensive) it is the cheapest price I could find for it in the UK! And free next day delivery too! It was £161 all in. There are other systems you can buy that are cheaper and or a similar price, but I checked EVERY one of them out and this one was the best by quite a bit. Money well spent because although I splashed out on performance Dunlops with reinforced/kevlar sidewalls I still want that extra reassurance to know exactly what the tyre is doing. I maybe a bit paranoid, but blowing out a tyre at speed is ****** scary!!!! This gives me peace of mind, so well worth it IMO! Cheers for the comments guys!