1.8 TQS Rear Suspension Refresh

hardhitter

Reaction score
I've had a slight clunking on the rear on my TQS saloon for a while. Now I've started to get a slight squeeking/creaking. Another thing that needs doing is the rear wheel bearings, which I'm going to do both. I'm going to check everything out before ordering what I need, this weekend. It has been wearing the inside edges of the tyres so I need the geometry setting after.

I've heard the rear springs are prone to going. I'm just wandering what other common parts go on the rear suspension. I'd rather replace as many parts necessary so I don't have to get the geometry set again for ages.

Throw a full set of bushes at it, and a pair of new tie rods.

If you give AllGermanParts a call, they'll be able to get some of the bushes in a decent brand like Lemforder or Meyle for not much money. A few of them are dealer only though.

As for the springs, i'd suggest you buy a Eibach Pro-kit, as you'll get all four springs and a slight drop for not much more than the cost of two rear springs from audi.

I guess the tie rods would be from audi only. I seem to remember the rear bushes were individual and not part of the strut etc, so prob not much money from audi.

Out of interest how much were the rear springs ? I guess an eibach pro kit would be 150-200 quid.

Cheers

prokit is around 150, springs are 70quid each iirc.

The tie rods are available from lemforder, Part number 14597 02

As are some of the rear bushes. I'd buy the bushes from lemforder (via Allgerman), i just baught two track rod ends, Audi price is 70 each, allgerman did them for 35each, its a no brainer!

Hmm, I bought some front track rod ends from Audi a couple of months ago. Don't think they were 70 quid ! Having said that the prices do change a number of times in a year.

Anyway cheers for the part No. I'll give Allgerman a call and see what they can do.

It's a right pain not having ETKA anymore, also the Vagcat site is down. So I've got to work out what I need and hope the dealer knows what I wan't !

Last edited:
Just been on the ALLGERMANPARTS website and the Meyle HD front control arm kit is now up to £400!!!!!!!! Thats really ****** on my bonfire!

Ye, i've spoken to jason at AllGerman about it. Basically Meyle have opened a UK distribution centre, and in the process "realigned" all their prices with the "UK marketplace". Meyle germany wont let him buy direct from them any more either, hence a huge increase in the price.

Hardhitter, if you know where to look you can find ETKA. All the updates are available on mytouareg.info too, so you can bring it right up to date with the latest part numbers etc.

As for the prices of the TRE's, i wanted the proper TQS ones, maybe you ended up with the normal ones? There are two types, the "normal" ones which have a rubber insulator section half way along the shaft, and the S4/TQS ones which are solid metal. Unfortunately ETKA seems to only list the solid ones for "6-cylinder AGB" engines, ie the S4, even though the TQS had the solid ones fitted at the factory when new, so if you went direct to audi for them you may well have ended up with the inferior, and cheaper part.

A4 one with rubber:
00352586301.gif

S4/TQS one:
00352597201.gif

Wish you hadn't said that, lol. Yes, I did get the rubber bushed front TRE's. But the ones I took off were rubber bushed and audi too. This made me think they were on from new, theres a chance they had been changed though. I should look through the history I guess. Maybe some TQS go the solid ones and some didn't.....

I got in touch with Allgerman and Jason was helpfull and has given me a list of what they do. I have a feeling some of the individual bushes may be cheaper at Audi.

I'd like to get ETOS or ETKA, if anyone can help me get an up to date copy I'd like to hear. The last ETKA I had didn't have many of the Audi Illustrations, which made it all but useless for this.

A bit more in the quest for finding the parts I need for a rear end refresh. I'm not bothering with spring or shocks as they seem in good order.

After having a look underneath I'm going to do all the bushes, the ARB link rods and the tie rods. A few of the nuts, bolts and washers will be done too. I'm sure some won't survive.

I initially contacted Allgerman parts and Jason was very helpful and gave me a list of prices for most of the parts inlcuing tie rods, link rods and bushes which were reasonable compared to VAG. Most of the bushes were hardly cheaper, but the tie rods and links were. He stated they were a german brand, so I initially thought Lemforder, Febi etc or meyle. When I got in touch with him, they were a make I'd never heard of which didn't fill me with confidence. He mentoined he could try and get Lemforder, but they would be more expensive and it turns out theres only one tie rod left in the uk and one pair of ARB link rods (not even any bushes !). There would be at least a three week wait for Lemforder for another tie rod, which I'm not going to do, especially when they would end up being a couple of quid cheaper than Audi !

GSF don't do any rear bush, or arm for the rear of B5 quattro ! I think ECP hardly do any bush or arm either.

I'm not sure at what point do ZF Sachs group in the UK think they are being competitve with the Aftermarket parts on this model at least.

Im got all my ARB bushes from ECP's. They were a shade over a few quid each. Been on now for 6 months and going strong (as you would expect!)....

Rear ARB bushes are different to normal quattros due to the sports suspension the ARB is 15mm, rather than 12.5mm. So I don't think they sell them.

Also, they are only £4.71 from Audi so it's a no brainer.

Mine is a quattro mate w/sports suspension. The no brainer part is obvious. My Audi dealership is 18 miles away. ECP is 0.3 miles away. So your right, it is a no-brainer!........And yes, they do sell the rear ARB bushes for a quattros w/sports suspension.

Last edited:
Fair enough, didn't know yours had sports suspension. Must have thought it was just the TQS that had it. Audi dealer is nearer to me and I get a discount ! ECP is 20-30 miles away. Also getting my other bits from there.

Horses for courses and all that...

Tell me buddy, how do you obtain a discount at your Audi dealership? Are you in the motor industry? Yeah, I got the printout (and confirmed it by looking!lol!) of the original specs of my car from the factory. Quite intersting really. Completely free and you can see/identify exactly whats been changed by all the other previous owners from original spec. Well woth doing!

Yes, I'm in the industry. So I can get a discount. Some dealers do discounts if your a club member or regular customer, it depends.

Whats this spec sheet you say was printed ? Was it something Audi did for you and for free ? ?

The week after I bought my Audi (3rd hand by now) I went into the dealership and invited myself to sit down infront of one of the sales reps. I then told him my reg/vrn/chassis number and he inputted the details into his desktop. He then swung the screen towards me and there was a complete breakdown of EVERYTHING it came with from the factory, optional extras and standard equipment. I wanted to know EXACTLY what I had (for instance I was given a fob when I bought the car but there was no central locking, so my intention was to find out if it came from the factory with it.....amongst other things). I then asked him for a printout. There is 5 A4 pages of specs!! Completely free! I then went round to parts/service. From them I obtained a complete and detailed service history (again free) of all the recalls the car had (track rod ends for instance, manifolds too) and all the parts that were changed/serviced down to the last washer! Don't get me wrong, the car came with a good SH, but I wanted mega detailed history so I knew precicely what had and hadn't been done! Example, Vindis audi in all their glory did a cambelt service @ 80k (In the service book) But the cowboys didn't change the thermostat, water pump or tensioner!!! I even managed to obtain the last owners mobile number from Audi (I requested it, the service rep then phoned the previous owner, he said it was ok for me to chat about the car/contact him, then they got back to me with the details......Well worth doing!! And the best part is its free!!!