steering rack

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
I need help asap the steering rack has just gone on my car, any one know if any rack will fit it,, ie diesel ect ect or have a part number for me its for a AEB 1.8t avant 97 what sort of money am i looking at to replace and fit it or how hard are they to change if not to bad il do it my self please get back to me cheers guys

Last edited:
I need help asap the steering rack has just gone on my car, any one know if any rack will fit it,, ie diesel ect ect or have a part number for me its for a AEB 1.8t avant 97 what sort of money am i looking at to replace and fit it or how hard are they to change if not to bad il do it my self please get back to me cheers guys

You can do it yourself depends how good you are on the spanners..it's more of a awkward job than a tech one..

After getting the damn thing out you may have thought that was hard but getting it back is somewhat harder to be honest another pair of hands is needed to get it back really otherwise you will struggle for ever..you are at one end pulling while the other guy is at the other end pushing..

There are 2 types of Racks and the only difference is the V6 as a dampner on it so you need the normal one..I reccomend you visit these people http://www.westernpowersteering.co.uk/ on their website I bought mine from there..

They are completely reconditioned with new seals and everything and pressure tested..

If you got one from Audi I think it was £450 and it's an exchange one anyway like this..

You will have to order one and they will send it to you and you take your's out and send it back to them that is how it works..

The guy there as been doing Steering Racks for years..and they are all Audi like your's will be so exchange will be like for like..

It's about £115 exchange I think plus p+p to get the new one then you can arrange for them to pick your's up at cost to you of course..

If you are really careful and mark up the tie Rod Ends and count the threads you can get them back to their original place when you put them back on the new Rack..

Hang on for more details on how to do it otherwise this reply looks too big..

Malc...

Last edited:
Cheers MONSTER

Audi quoted me 495 plus vat and there is a 120 surcharge on that...

So am i right in thinking that a P reg 1.6 rack will fit my 1.8t

it is summin i can do but i have to put it to a garage due to an injury i got while fighting the other day hahaha

Yes the Rack will fit..is the Audi Quote for fitting or for the Rack only..Audi probably would book it in for 2-3 hours to fit the Rack..

Are you anywhere near Bristol where Western Steering are he can fit them in about an hour but he's doing it all day long and can almost throw it in..

Sorry just saw your from Wales you will save loads if you don't mind driving down there but ring and book it in first..you can take the Rack with you so you will only be charged for fitting..not much for that there..

And he would test your Doner Rack before fitting that might be suspect they do go in time for sure..not many garages can or will test before fitting your's..

6 months down the line you could need a new Rack..

So if your not doing it yourself no need for me to post HOW to do it then..

You could always fight with the Audi..But I know who the Winner would be..:thumbsup:...Malc..

Last edited:
Yes that is what I thought just for the Rack..

Book it in Bristol and have a nice drive down go for Lunch and ready to pick up in an hour.. Job Done and save yourself some Wonga and Hassle...:o.k:..Malc..

Last edited: