Complete, worlds first AAN 2.2 5cyl turbo powered B5 Avant Quattro!!!!!!!!

sounds like you need some custom engine mounts to rotate the block slightly to lift off subframe and drop rocker cover.

excellent work though.

Well on the bonnet front, i have "modified" the strengthener skin by ramming the bonnet on a block of wood for now :faint: just for now untill i get use of a plasma cutter and trim the metal away lol

JCB, it already has very very custom mounts as they are all totaly fabricated!
and the engine cant rotate as then so will the gearbox/linkages etc and thats not an option having a bellhousing fabricated :)

the coil pack cover/holder will be getting binned soon anyway so im not that bothered, and it help keet the thing cool when driving lol

Sean

TBH the front bumper/bonnet is the main bit that ruins the look for me. It just makes the car look broken.

I'd have been looking to notch the subframe and/or get the engine sitting a little further back for clearance, but i guess then you run into modifying the propshaft and gearlinkages etc.

I'd also be worried about how it affects the handling, the normal models tend to be oversteery enough, and you've got similar weight to a v6 mounted further forward than an I4 and all offset to one side...

I think personally, my ultimate B5 would still be V8 powered, and i'm sure a couple of sensible sized turbos nailed on could have 700hp in a much nicer package. A 700hp 4.2L motor is going to be a LOT nicer to drive than a 700hp 2.3

notch subframe, remove anti`roll bar altogether, fit dry sump kit, fabricate gearbox drop mounts, fabricate new gear linkages,.......... all not an option thankyou ;)

car was a 2.5tdi and handles much better than it did with the TDi in so thats all that counts for me

audi found it ok st stick the engine in an 80 so im happy to do it with an A4.

oversteer is a very very very good thing to have, back end out, woohooooo

i built the car i wanted and happy so far :)

bumper is really bad as i only had 1 cutting disk left so took a huge lump out of it but will be RS4 before the end of the year.

Sorry, i meant understeer. Stiffer rear ARB can help get it a bit more neutral though. A4's dont tend to oversteer unless the rear geometry is out.

Notching the subframe shouldnt really have been a big problem, its quite a chunky affair, and the ARB could have been spaced down. Linkages etc could have been tweeked rather than remade so long as you didnt go too far with the positioning. All moot points now though, as its in already.

Audi also chose to abandon an engine they'd used and developed for years when they went to the A4, they didnt do that for nothing, nor made the decision lightly! Each to their own i guess with engine choices, i just like my 8 pots!

Assuming the bumper isnt like that becuase it has to be, then it should look good once its RS4'd, but it'd be a real shame if there was still a huge gaping hole once its RS4'd!

I was told by an engine builder that the I5 is the one of the best configurations due to the way the power is delivered in five pulses rather than 2 in an I4, 3 in a v6 4 in a V8 etc etc.
more pulses = smoother power delivery.

also sounds awesome!
had a 90 quattro with this engine, loved it

JCB: an 8cyl has 8 pulses in every two revolutions, a 5 cyl only has 5 and a 6 cyl has 6...

A 5cyl isnt a "smooth" engine, because theres an odd pulse between every two revs, compared to normal even configurations. That odd pulse is exacly what gives the 5 pot its characteristic sound!

yeh as you say its done now fella :)

exactley each to their own, we`d all be communist if we didnt lol
i went away from the norm cos thats just me.
only have to trim the fresh bumper a bit to go round the fan next time so it wont be seen.
may even just buy a cheap used std bumper for now, this one is mashed anyway as someone reversed into it with a van n drove off, on the n/s its all squashed next to the reg plate

V8`s, the jury is still out for me on the noise but i my boss has had a fleet of e39 M5`s lately and sometimes i like and sometimes i dont but thats cool if you like em though fella!

The AAN is from the URS4/6
mainly the same as an ABY motor but inlet side of things are different and a few other minor things.

I used the URS4 as it was cheaper to buy a good car than the S4 ABY powered cars that i really wanted to buy if im honest, if i had a late S2 avant i wouldnt have built my A4 as i would have used the S2 as my project for big power.

Wish i had got an S2 now lol
what a ****** nightmare

have you done any rough times in it yet and what type of speed do you get

( on private roads ) :eyebrows:

Well the A4 is now dead :(

driving home from a meet last night and first time using the car, i was doing 30mph and approx 1500revs when i heard the hatefull sound of a timing belt letting go,

Whoever did the belt just before i got the car only fitted a belt, no pump or tensioner and only put 2 bolts in the tensioner, it worked loose and let off.

10 bent inlet valves, cam pulley broken and wudruff key also broken.

simply dont have the money to do the car at the minute so i can forget about all the shows i was gonna do this year.

Gutted just doesnt describe how i feel.

just read that on the s2forum. will the valves, pulley etc not be the same as the non turbo 20v 7a engine? might find 1 in a scrapyard for muchess cheapness. then its just service parts...

well i will be repairing it, hasnt done the guides thankfuly! if i buy a head i just see it as buying someone elses problems ;)

nah all different mate unfortunatly.

pulley should only be £30 ish, similar to passat 1.8T one and got one for a punter other week and it was only £18.

valves are £10 each or so, bolts £5 set!!, head set £100?!

then the Belt kit, £10ish?

dont have any car to use at all now so need it done asap lol

**** pal, thats terrible news, even worse when its down to somebody cutting corners that could have avoided it!!!! Least you've got the right attitude, get ball deep in the bay and sort it out!:icon_thumright:

Eeek.... point to note for me.... always replace the cambelt and ancils if/when I put in a second hand engine in my project

it had paperwork to prove it had been carried out approx 2k miles previous and belt was new when i took cover off ;)

Headbolts were £5 EACH :O nearly fell over lol

Cheers for that peeps, not long now hopefully, the head is now very ported and smoothed :D

sorry to hear this it should be against the law to fit a new cambelt if the waterpump/tensioners havent been changed rececntly etc, lol

think you need to shop around a bit more.
I have a Audi 90 with this engine and had a head job done, nothing like as expensive as the parts you mentioned. Where are you getting them?

Headgasket, Audi £40.99 (steel multilayer not cheap **** paper)
bolts £56 total, water pump£30.50 Euro car parts
valves GSF £5 ish each

head set still not got yet, GSF were £70 but cannot supply, indefanitly!

i work in the motortrade and have heavy contacts in various places, i can buy **** but i wouldnt want to, trust me i work on cars every day and some parts you just wouldnt fit no matter how cheap they are, and a build as in depth that will be producing so much horsepower eventually its worth spending a few quid more for good stuff (OE spec basicaly!)

Headgasket, Audi £40.99 (steel multilayer not cheap **** paper)
bolts £56 total, water pump£30.50 Euro car parts
valves GSF £5 ish each

head set still not got yet, GSF were £70 but cannot supply, indefanitly!

i work in the motortrade and have heavy contacts in various places, i can buy **** but i wouldnt want to, trust me i work on cars every day and some parts you just wouldnt fit no matter how cheap they are, and a build as in depth that will be producing so much horsepower eventually its worth spending a few quid more for good stuff (OE spec basicaly!)

Snap!

I've got to do the same job. Haven't got the head off yet - will take a few days leave over the summer and give it a go. I bought another S6 off eBay to tide me over, so I'm in no rush.

How did you get on finding a headset?

Is it worth having anything done to the head when I get it off (it's done 160k miles)? The engine is standard 230hp.

Cheers,

Paul