312mm front brakes

I

imported_kris_tdi

i have got hold of some TT carriers.
i know i need 312mm x 25mm discs but from which model???

Hi Kris,

I'm just doing the same mod on my 1.8TS Avant. I also wasn't sure what model they come off as the details on the other thread mention the A8. I have a copy of ETKA and it has no 312mm discs listed for the A8. However the A6 does have them listed and the number matched the vag number shown in
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel1.shtml
So I just ordered 312mm*25mm discs for the A6 from GSF online:
www.gsfcarparts.com
Their part number is 62379. These are bog standard pattern parts (made in germany though) - so no fancy cross drilling or grooves. Only cost me £73.97 delivered though, so worth a try. I'm just going to use my current pads as they are fairly new. Haven't fitted them yet - maybe this weekend. Hope this helps. Simon.

OEM Part No. 8 LO 615 301
(Audi TT 1.8T/1.8TQ MY1999> Front vented disc 312x25)

cheers

ps. A8 = 314x30

Out of interest how much were the TT caliper carriers? I assume they are only available via the stealers?

01022854 - The TT discs are the same size but the holes are in a different place. PCD of 5*100 (TT) verses 5*112 (A4) - so anyone reading - don't buy TT discs - they won't fit!! Most aftermarket dealers will be able to check against the OEM number 8D0-615-301-J - so just make sure you quote that when ordering. Like I said already it is fitted to the A6 (possibly the A8 outside the UK, given the audiworld thread), The A6 2.5 TDI uses these discs.
TT carriers are £108 ish each from the stealers! Seems a bit steep. There was someone selling them for 90 a pair on UKMKIVs - the same mod can be done to fit 312mm brakes to the MK4 golf - it does use the TT brakes though!!

[ QUOTE ]
GregC said:
Any suggestions for rear disks on a 1999 Quattro Sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

its not really worth major money upgrading rears. They do tend to get very hot though so get some decent crossdrilled ones rather than the solid discs.

[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:
[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:
[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:

I think slotted wears more pad. not drilled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so cause I have AP Racing slotted disks with six piston callipers and they are lasting me close to 8 months...

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:
[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:
[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so cause I have AP Racing slotted disks with six piston callipers and they are lasting me close to 8 months...

G

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup ive heard that slotted will give around that, but for normal road use with occasional hard road use (ie non-track use) its not enough difference with slotted to justify the shorter pad change duration (talking about cars with moderately modified engines on a A8 brake upgrade only though)

[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:
[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:
[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:
[ QUOTE ]
nmb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

G

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup ive heard that slotted will give around that, but for normal road use with occasional hard road use (ie non-track use) its not enough difference with slotted to justify the shorter pad change duration (talking about cars with moderately modified engines on a A8 brake upgrade only though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you have to take into consideration that I have 470bhp on my car and therefore I sometimes require some heavy braking. I also use my car on a daily basis...

G

Kris - I have fitted the 5 spoke star 17's from the newer A4's. They fit fine under the 17's, the article at
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel1.shtml
said that it fits OK under 16" wheels. So I think you should be OK. As for rears that same article suggests changing to late S4 rear calipers with vented rears. I'd see what you reckon to the fronts before doing this as under braking most of the weight is transferred to the front anyway and this is where most of the braking occurs.

In the pic you can see a layer of rust already - that's the damp scottish air for you!!

looking good. you got a full side on pic of your motor with those wheels on?

Looks nice mate..
What about Konis with the hard and soft settings etc for road track days etc...

Markey - I might have to do something when the K04 is fitted as the standard suspension is a bit soft. I don't intend to take it on track - thats the golfs job!

[ QUOTE ]
simon_golf_tt said:
Markey - I might have to do something when the K04 is fitted as the standard suspension is a bit soft. I don't intend to take it on track - thats the golfs job!

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly suggest fitting reenforced suspension for that much power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
simon_golf_tt said:
RastaS4 - I may also strongly suggest it soon!! We'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Simon so what brake parts did you fit?
Calipers etc do all the parts just bolt on and can the same be done for the rear brakes?

Markey - I just fitted the A6 312mm front discs that I got from german swedish french car parts and also Audi TT carriers to offset the original calipers. I didn't do the rears, though I think that is simple enough to do. The audiworld post explains it all.

All the parts bolt straight on. 2 bolts hold the carrier to the hub and 2 slide pins hold the caliper to the carrier. It's an easy job.

Haven't been able to try the brakes as the car is stuck in the drive till I complete fitting the K04.

Just one more question do you feel that the front standard Calipers are up to the job still or with the type of power im expecting should i upgrade them to Porsche ones.

Also has anyone done the rear brake upgrade as my rear disks and pads need renewing so it could be worth while doing that upgrade first.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would go for a minor rear upgrade such as cross drilled zimmerman rotors and considering at least porsche boxster calipers with S4 rotorson the front.

But how much power are we talking about?

then you should definitly go for a BBK. at least boxster calipers.

This is the current front brake upgrade that i am looking at.

Evolution Big Brake System Level 3: Our Level 3 brake system uses the Porscheâ 996ä MonoBloc 4 piston calipers and incorporates enormous 320mm x 30mm S4 rotors. This front kit is the Ultimate upgrade for those wanting incredible stopping power to meet the demands of any track or street conditions. Our kit comes complete with: 996 calipers*, OEM S4 rotors, billet T-6061 anodized caliper adapters, custom aluminum brake line mounts, hardware and special DOT 4 brake fluid.

From Evoms.

Just spoke to VAGParts and they said i need to find out what model TT carries i need, and that if they are the 4cylinder or 6 i thought that they were 4 so he quoted me, £157.56.
Is that right people as that seemed rather expensive as Simon you quoted the whole upgrade for about £200 quids.
Am i missing something here?

I have been onto the GSF website and they also list sone x drilled A6 disks do you know if any of these would be apropriate? Also what is the model A6 that these disks are from so that i may be able to ask arround as places are asking me.
I want to get these parts ordered before the other half sees the bank balance and wants to buy xmas presents with it!!!!!!
Thanks

Markey - I got my carriers from a source at vag for £115 for the pair. There is an advert on UKMKIVs listing carriers for £97 a pair (same mod is used on MKIV golfs). You could try there. You could try a scrappy. The vag part number for the carriers is mentioned in the AW post - check the begining of this thread. They will be from the 4 cylinder cars. £157 is not too bad price if for the pair.

My discs were £74 delivered from gsf car parts.

Sorry simon but do you know what model the A6 disks are from.
2.5TDI etc?
As i want to try and get some X Drilled ones and with your part number i cant tally them up!

I think they are from the 2.5tdi - but quote the VAG number to them and they should be able to tie it up.

The audi Tech article says A8 disks.
Ill see what they say when i ask about the 2.5TDI ones.

Tech article is about US A8 that uses Euro A6 rotors. 312x25 euro A6 and US A8.

Euro A8 uses 314x30mm.

You need Euro A6 312x25 5x112 rotors.