looks like its engine out time, what shall I add to make it worthwhile?

calvin

parked up
Reaction score
ok, so it looks like my rattly S4 manifold issue means the old girls heart has to come out again...

I've kinda resigned myself to the task of taking the engine out and am now thinking that, if it has to come out, it would be nice to have something more than just the rattles fixed when it goes back in again..!

Currently its bog standard, with an MRC custom remap, putting out approx 290bhp (reckoned at 300bhp by MRC when tuned) at the last rolling road session (though I think its now higher as I had some boost leak issues that are now also resolved). Its done 86k and has new turbos as of last year. Its also got a new uprated (RS4?) clutch, non DualMass flywheel and had cambelt and other ancillaries replaced. It runs nice. but is a tad tame now. Its in good very clean condition.

So... what can I do do it with the following objectives and points in mind:
1. It needs to remain driveable, reliable and serviceable
2. I dont have a huge budget but can find £2-3k
3. I dont want to massively stress the drivetrain, and dont want it to look non-standard from outside.
4. I want to be able to bolt new bits on and get the lump back in as quick as poss.
5. The exhaust is on its last legs (might make the year out, but thats about it - I've managed to drag it through 3 MOTs already!)
6. I dont mind going back to MRC to have it remapped / tuned but am 100 miles away, so need to be able to drive it there really!

I am thinking Ko4's, plus RS4 manifolds or similar, plus exhaust upgrade - can I get to 400bhp somehow here without reliability / build issues and it be immediately driveable?

I am at my limit of knowledge and understanding of what can be added, so your help and advice appreciated!!

Alternatively, I could sell the car on as it is, and buy one with the mods already effected.. Would I get over £4k for mine do you think or should I keep spending!?

spec me up dudes!

RP K04 turbos, facelift S4/RS4 manifolds, XS Power downpipes and exhaust, RS4 clutch, CX Racing FMIC and RS4 injectors. You'd be on over 400bhp then and could probably do all of that for around £2.5k (£2k + remap).

You might also want to look into replacing the turbo oil and coolant lines whilst the engine is out.

Add a fuel pump and maybe some bigger injectors to that setup and you'd be looking closer to 440bhp for only a few hundred more.

RP K04 turbos, facelift S4/RS4 manifolds, XS Power downpipes and exhaust, RS4 clutch, CX Racing FMIC and RS4 injectors. You'd be on over 400bhp then and could probably do all of that for around £2.5k (£2k + remap).

You might also want to look into replacing the turbo oil and coolant lines whilst the engine is out.

woooah!! ok, thanks for quick response, I now need to catch up on my knowledge!!
I am not afraid of getting the engine out, bits replaced and it all put back together, but I dont fully understand what you are suggesting (sorry!!)

1. RP K04 turbos - is this a brand or type of K04? where do i get them?
2. Facelift S4/RS4 manifolds - are these identical and is ebay / classifieds best source? - how much is typical price?
3. RS4 clutch - looking at my notes from Siena (grrrr) he should have fitted an RS4 pressure plate and new S4 friction disc, new clutch release and spigot bearing - is this all ok for rest of upgrades?
4. XS Power downpipes / exhaust - where do i get these / how much?
5. CX racing FMIC - can this intercooler setup be fitted behind the standard bumper etc? how much and where from?
6. RS4 injectors - am assuming from Audi dealer and bung em in?!
7. Turbo oil and coolant lines - do you mean the metal gravity drain lines and other coolant pipes - just to replace with new OEM bits?

Sorry for all the questions - am new to the modded stuff and scared stiff I will burn a load more cash and have a pile that doesnt work!

ooh, and forgot to add, I would rather that the modded new toy still managed mid 20's mpg if driven gently.... is my wish list getting dreamy now?!

I get about 19mpg on my normal stop/start commute to work. Basically get 230 miles to a tank. On motorway runs I can get over 300 miles.

1) RP are replica K04 turbos built by a reputable Canadian firm. They've been getting good reviews over in the US and are sold by one of the big US tuners - JHM (have a read about them here - http://www.audizine.net/forum/showthread.php?330891-RP-K04-Turbos-from-JHM-(Borg-Warner-Copy)-B5-S4 )

2) Facelift S4 and RS4 exhaust manis are exactly the same. Probably best to post up a wanted ad on AudiSRS or RS246 for these. Usually go for around £150.

3) Sorry, hadn't read that originally. Assuming you've actually got what you paid for, these should be fine.

4) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-S4-2-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518dbc4500 - £335 delivered. Do a search for "XS-Power exhaust" on AudiSRS, loads of info. Some people have recommended buying seperate flexi joints for the downpipes for ease of fitment. Think they can be had for another £50 or so. It's a true dual system and doesn't have any cats.

5) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories - about £150 delivered. There used to be loads on eBay which came with the pipework too. Maybe worth asking the sellers. Again, search for "CXRacing FMIC" on AudiSRS. Plenty of info.

6) Pick them up 2nd hand. I sold some for £100 a couple of year back, I even once saw a set go for £50!! You need some spacers for them too, but you might find someone who already has these fitted to an S4. An alternative is the bigger (ie: 600cc+) injectors. You'd want to look into them if you're hoping for upwards of 420bhp. Probably worth speaking to whoever would be tuning your car about injectors as they will recommend which ones are best for your requirements.

7) Yes. These aren't essential items, but how ****** off would you be if you put the car back together only to notice a leaking hose a few months down the line. Saying that, I had brand new oil and coolant lines fitted and i've had a very slight coolant leak on one of the turbos since they were fitted!

One thing which I have forgotten is that you will need K04 charge pipes (from turbo->Intercoolers). Best to put a Wanted ad up somewhere. Not sure if you can get aftermarket. I managed to pick some up for a decent price off a forum member breaking an RS4.

Might also be worth looking into this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-S4-RS4-X...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439ed359ab

The K03 inlet pipes can be modified to fit the K04's, but you might be better off with this kit as it comes with a load of the gaskets/clips you should be changing when replacing turbos anyway.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Cheers Blue Thunder - you are a Diamond!:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - hope you dont mind if I ask a few other things as my knowledge increases - I really want to be able to take the motor out, replace all the parts, slot it back in a few days (max) later and drive off.... thats the plan anyway!

One teeny query - if I de-cat, how does the car get through an MOT? - dont the emissions go sky high?

I am going to digest all of that and start accruing the parts asap, luckily I am in no huge rush, so can accrue the parts over the next month or so.

stick it into google translate?

I wouldnt fully decat, its just a headache. Remove the precats then change the main cats to the sport type, or alternatively get some RS4 downpipes and remove the precats.

Does anyone speak german? Are these any good for my plans? muwhahaha!

RS4 K04s... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110518614059&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

At that money I could have them refurbed if needed and still be under budget?

They don't look in great condition. The fact they've put the compressor caps over may mean they are hiding something such as a mashed up compressor. I had to pay £1050 to get a set of K04's refurbished after they shat themselves.

I use a friendly MOT station, so emissions aren't an issue. Suppose I could get stopped by VOSA, but i'd have to be very unlucky. You could go for a custom system with cats for probably around £450. I was just trying to think of the most 'bang for your buck' option.

All the above suggestions are what i'd do if I was doing it all again. I learnt the hard (and expensive) way about what parts are needed and what can be done with them. I spunked loads of money on 'must have' parts, which given the chance to turn the clock back I just wouldn't have bothered.