Oil query for 1.8t

BigBen

Reaction score
My mate is going to service my avant 1.8t -90,000 f.a.s.h tomorrow night. He works for toyota and said he has 10w40 semi synthetic oil for me- Should i only use fully synthetic or will semi with say molyslip added be fine?

Any experience based opinions on halfrauds oil filters?

Thanks guys

i only use full synth in mine, but for some reason the oil companies seem to recomend semi for the A4.

If you are to change more regularaily then semi will be fine especially if its free from your mate (say 5k changes)

Otherwise do full synthetic as it can last longer and promote a more healthy engine.

The basic vag spec for a 1.8T is semi synth, but personally i dont think semi-synth oil is upto the job in a turbocharged petrol, unless you change it extremely frequently. I only run my synthetic oil for 5k...

Dont mess around adding molyslip or any other crap into the oil, if it needed it, it would be in the oil in the first place.

If its free, then use it and change it every 5k at the most, less if your doing a lot of short journeys.

Thanks guys it is free yeah so will probably go for it and look to change at 2500k.

I think the sump may have to come down at some point because due to a very **** boost hose clip which failed and blew off a pipe the other night. It gave 3mph per gallon for 6miles before i could stop by which time the oil was honking of petrol (haven't used the car since).
I am thinking the oil will have been broken down quite a bit and everything will have been cleaned internally. (there was no engine knocks or ratlles so think i got away with it) But likely the sump will be full of *****.:bye:

Big job to drop the sump??

Last edited:
:think: well maybe 2.5k- what a fanny!! 2,500,000 think that would impress the boffins at audi :yes:

Last edited:
what hose came off?
there is a thread on here about sludging, its a engine lift/raise off the subframe job to get clearance.
not that tricky if you do your homework

Hose that goes from DV down to the big pipe which come from the inter-cooler side- yeah I'm a chef so tech descriptions may not be strictly accurate..... :motz:

i wouldnt bother, the fuel will have helped dissolve any crap into the oil, ie the exact opposite of it sludging up.

Just get it changed and keep an eye on the oil pressure!

Sounds valid Aragorn as the oil was reasonably clean before and now is dark and thin. Maybe my crap hose clip has saved me a future job- fingers crossed