Whats it worth?

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
The olde question rears its head, whats our car worth?

I'm considering selling it i'm just trying to get a feel for how much money i'd need to upgrade.

Do you think it'd fetch a grand?

'96 A4 1.8T Sport Avant
Recently had 'new' engine fitted, along with water pump, timing belt, clutch etc.
Brakes were all done last year, two new calipers on the back, new disks and pads all round.
I'd probably keep the Boleros, so it'd be on some standard 16" sport wheels.
All the front suspension arms changed last year.
Rear Axle bushes replaced a few months back.
Bodywork is showing its age a little with the usual scratches here and there, front and rear bumpers have car park type scrapes on them.

Looking at ebay completed items is a bit depressing, but a lot of the older A4's on there are completely knackered.

must be worth at least a grand. I would have said anyway.

i sold a 97 saloon for £800 the other week and bodywork was in worse condition than yours
think mileage might put some people off but alot of people want avants

ebay seems to be full of cheap knackered cars or well overpriced stuff, id list yours at 1k start and reckon it would sell

i put my tqs details into 'webuyanycar.com' just cos i was bored and they offered me £1450

Dunno mate. I guess it's the mileage letting it down. That said, I think B5s hold their value quite well and I see loads go for over £1k. Do you have any paperwork for the "new" engine? What was the mileage on it?

Blag a used seat and i recon up to 1200 is possible, she is in very good mechanical comdition, and you have all the reciepts for the new clutch,cambelt kit, water pump and sundries.

a few questions
1.what are you looking to get facelift b5?
2. quattro?
3. how much will that cost you?
4. also worth bearing in mind seems like you have done a lot of work already, some of which you may have to do again on the new car maybe?

I think one or two guy's that know of you(Aragorn) on this Forum would buy it from the Mechanical point of view..

Somtimes you have to weigh up what a car stands you at and how much you have spent on it since you have had it taken into account the mileage you have done..

I for one could not sell my car it stands me at so much money..I bought it in Jan 2007 for over £3,000(I know that was a lot) but it had only done 85k and it was imaculate..

But I'm cursed with having everything better than that so I took it to Audi had a total respray and new trim door seals the works cost me over £2,500..

I was not finished I have renewed most parts on it Brakes Disc's ect Steering Rack ect..so Must have spent another £1,000..so as you can see stands me far too much to sell it..

It's a 1997 1.8t when I did not know what an S4 was just thought the 1.8 Turbo Sport with full leather and extras was top of the range..(Till I found this Forum)

So with hindsiight I probably could have bought a cheap S4 but I don't regret that really when as you know every part you put on an S4 is with two "0"'s on the end..

Anyhow the car when new I think cost about £28,000 something like that so the money I have spent is not that much when you compare that and it's a lot of car for the money..Still Drives like new..

But I have spent too much now to sell mine but it is in showroom condition now and I just keep doing the odd mechanical thing that always seems to come along..

I use it really as a fine weather car not every day and it's still only done 93,000 so I'm happy to keep it I do get a strong feeling for a S4 now and then but that goe's when I hear some of you complaining about the mpg and the Parts and I think they are a bit more tempermental that the 1.8t..

Plus the Insurance on a S4 and the running costs I think a lot of the younger guy's get caught out with this and have to end up selling it when the House/Baby/ all the commitments that brings comes along..you need deep pockets to own a S4 today even if you do a lot of the work yourself..

Last edited:
Ye, If someone knows B5's they'd know that even though its done 195k everything that wears out has been replaced.

Its good to hear that oldskools sold for 800, and as he says avants tend to sell for more anyway.

I need to take a pic of my interior and see if oldskools seats are the same fabric. Will go do that now!

Wot did Dieselfitters sell for when his went, sure it was just over 1K and that had 250K miles or thereabouts!!!

Do the b5's realy go for that much. I bought mine for 600 and have done some work to it but still aint got all the gremlins out yet, some boy my brother knows said to me the other day if i wanted to sell it and that he would give me 500 cash coz tats all they fetch but he wanted the wheels dvd player and rear tv's in with the deal as well or a straight swap for a 1.1 r reg saxo,,,,,,,

what you say good deal :)

Take a look on ebay. There are plenty on there that fetch 500quid, but they're all crap, knackered and have **** engines.

Aragorn, you can hand on hart state what has been done on this car and provide recpts to prove. You will have no problems selling her i recon.

Yes the shell has done 200K but most of the wearable parts have been changed now and she drives very well

mine was ***** when i bought it nobed who owned it did nt love it hav nt spent much just iratating bits like parcel shelf missin , side strips rotten (not fixed yet) rear head rest missing grey rear ash tray missing silly but anoy me to my bac teeth my old man is swpin a 1.8 gti red i 130 bhp for a mk 5 and he was offered 1,500 4 it so i said swop mine ill av the gti esy peasy nice and new no silly crap wrong he offered me 1,000 4 mine and it looks ok just couple of dints minor and f in bit hole where tow bar was !! so its a wide market people dont give **** what u spent they love service history and i changed the tyres and disks for safety thats there remit cause they dont under stand the scene or PASSION i spend 5 k on my old mk one campagn GTI loved it and sold for 1,700 no justice then he trashed it on tsw venoms nob head !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! init !!!!!!!!!

I'd say around the 1K area mate. I'll be putting my green one up for around the same price; that's with 108k miles, new oil pump, clutch, water pump, cam belt etc and most suspension components replaced too.

Hope you're staying B5??? :bye:?????

I paid £500 for a 1.8T SE with a knacker clutch, by the time I get rid of the car next year, is will stand me around £1300 and the following would have been done.

Brakes all round
New Clutch
New cam-belt
New v-belt
New water pump
New thermostat
leather steering wheel
body work fixed and machined polished
16" Audi Alloy wheels
New down pipe section
Interior stripped & cleaned
Drivers seat reupholstered
Remote central locking
Brakes & clutch bled
New Pass fluid
Oil & filter changed
Coolant flushed
+any other faults that happen will be fixed.

I hope to get on or over the £1K mark, so I've ran the car and it's cost me around £300 for a years motoring which would not be that bad

Last edited: