crazy brake problem!!!!

corradlo

....WestsideVW....
Reaction score
Website
www.westsidevw.co.uk
Hi , guys hope someone can help, i have a problem on my b5 its a facelift 1.8t (1999) non quattro! everytime i put my foot on the brakes just when the car is about to stop, the pedal feels like im braking on discs made of gravel!! it kind of rumbles on the front drives side only...its driving me crazy as it only happens when the car is at very low speed and coming to a stop????? can anyone help............

Sounds like the ABS is kicking, I've got the same fault on my 1.8T. It could be the rear ABS rings which are on the disc or the front ABS rings which is on the drive shaft. other thing it could be one ABS sensors. It's not an easy one to fix, if you have vag-com then you may be able to see which wheel is reporting an incorrect speed, however vag-com is disconnected from the ABS conroller if the car is traveling above 12MPH.

As above, one of your sensors is dropping out just before the car stops, causing the ABS to think the wheel has locked up.

Vagcom is the only way to tell which corner it is. Where are you based, someone might be local and have Vagcom.

i have the same problem on mine i got the sensor but any one know how far it goes into the hub,,, its the front drivers side,,, as i put one in not long back and rubbed against the ring and its gone again

Thanks for the advice guys, i will give the sensors a go, i did have it plugged into a vag com a while ago and it came up with the left rear, i didint think this would affect the front right though!!
should i start with the sensors or the abs rings??

tazzy......no worries bud, any advise helps with problem solving......

do a visual check on the rings, also clean them up with a wire brush. I had this when braking at low speeds, turned out abs ring was cracked on rear driveshaft.

Are there any guides on how to do this on here? below are a couple of pics of the car, its my first audi, and it will be finished soon, got a few nore bits to do and ill post some proper pics.......

Picture062.jpg

Picture043.jpg

to check the front you will have to loosen off the hub nut/bolt with a 17mm socket/hex key and pull the driveshaft back a bit to see the rings, or pull the sensor and look through the hole whist rotating shaft.

I think the rear rings are in/on the disk somewhere not too sure as I have a quattro.

plug it in to vagcom first see what comes up may save some hassle

Last edited:
thanks, i will try the sensors first! having looked at some other posts, i see it mentioned that you can remove the abs fuse to check it is an abs fault, however i tried this a while back and the car would not start....or did i just oull the wrong fuse?

ABS acts on all the wheels simultaneously, so it probably just seems like its the front right.

You wont be able to "see" anything wrong with the sensor, and you'll most likely destroy it trying to remove it, so rule out the rings before trying!

The rings are built into the rear CV joints on a Quattro.

The car will run perfectly happily without the ABS plugged in, so i suspect as you say you've pulled the wrong fuse.

im going to change all of the brake discs at the end of the month so, i will try to tackle the abs rings too!! thanks for the advice.......