Fans

voteforpedro

Reaction score
I take it the larger on the N/S is the viscous fan? That is permanently on. Is that normal?

On the other hand, the smaller fan is NEVER on. Not even with the A/C on. Is that normal?

I hate cars and want to die. Seriously like. 8 hours at work then a further 3 sorting this ******** out. I'm gonna buy a Punto.

i used to own one of them silver gt punto loved that car,,,

on my car one of them is always on and the other only comes on when the temp goes up but cant remember wich one it is sorry dude

the smaller fan is for a/c should come on with a/c compressor does your aircon work?

the larger one runs all the time on mine

opps my bad shows how much i know,,,,,

any one know if those diy kits in halfrauds for regasing the aircon is any good

opps my bad shows how much i know,,,,,

any one know if those diy kits in halfrauds for regasing the aircon is any good

used one to fill my system after replacing complete pipework, worked fine, and you get gauge so you know if its full or needs top up
got it from ebay cheaper than halfords though

The big fan is connected to the engine by a fluid coupling.

If the engines running, it will turn too, but the fluid means it doesnt turn very hard. Infact on a cold engine you can probably stop it with your hand, though testing that isnt advisable incase its broken! Once the engine gets hot, say 100c, the fluid thickens up, causing the fan to turn more powerfully, hence cooling the engine more.

The little one is connected to the AC, but also should have a thermoswitch in one of the rad hoses or perhaps on the cylinder head, which kicks it in if the temp climbs past a set temperature.

If you want to test it, get some wire and stick 12v across the fans plug and see if it goes, if it does i can dig you out the wiring diagram so you can faultfind.