I'm going to make a heatshield

voteforpedro

Reaction score
intaketoMAF.jpg

^^ Inspiration.

So the plan is to stencil it up with some card before cutting two sheets of thin aluminum to size, including holes for TIP and snorkel. Then I will put something between them, something thin that insulates well and is not flammable. Any ideas? Then fix the three sheets together and rubber seal all around, including holes.

Silicone%20Edging%20Strip%20best%20Quality%20from%20Polymax%20copy.jpg

^^ Rubber seal.

That will hold it all together nicely.

What do you think?

I think you should stick a thermometer in that area and see just how hot it is before bothering.

IMO you'll find its perfectly cool there when moving along, and it will only climb when stationary, meaning its a waste of time.

I did the same in my old nova when everyone was bleating on about cold air feeds. Lo and behold doing anything over about 5mph the thermometer would read ambient.

think there is a DIY on this floating around with a template.
TBH one sheet would do the trick as the air flowing in at speed will creat a significant boundary on the hot metal anyway.
unless you are really worried about hot intake in still traffic limiting your "chav in his dad's Impreza" burning power at the lights....

I guess I'm just being paranoid since the turbo/cat area has been searing hot of late, but that could be down to the 115 degree coolant temps and faulty water pump. Will check once I get the new radiator on that I'm happy with ambient temps. I see what you mean though about temps while moving. It's just that all the yanks over the pond go on about it and they're either very retarded or completely right. :D

Don't waste your time mate. Its honestly not worth it. The audi closed intake system is spot on. I have experimented with these in the past on Skylines, Supras, Saab aeros, Renaults, Cosworths etc etc. The only thing that made the slightest difference was a CDA filter. They are expensive but like anything you get what you pay for (most of the time, and in this case you do).....http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=4003811

I would stick with Audis one.

i would like to see a dyno to shwo the CDA improving anything.
not questioning it but the chap that took about 6 different panel and cone filter sheilded and non sheilded and compared them to a stock paper filter on a gas flow bench showed some shocking results.
only thing that increased airflow was smoothing the inside of the stock airbox