upgrade rear speakers in saloon

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My rear speakers have started blowing in my car in the last week or so. Really annoying me now, I am just wondering if there are any speakers out there for the rear that are better than the standard ones? I have the standard symphony setup in a saloon. (parcel shelf speakers) I know there's the issue with the funny little amp on the n/s speaker.

Just thought that I have to replace them anyway, might as well upgrade.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Any speakers are better than the stock ones, you need 6.5" coxials and also the adapter rings as the holes are uneven and square. You could also install a small amp to replace the garbage Audi use. If you go old school with an Alpine 3501 which is a very small 2 x 18wrms amp, you can use the existing wiring to power & feed it and it's so small it could be velcro'd underneath the rear deck. It will be a vast improvement on the stock unit.

Mine were blown when i bought the S4..

I used some old JVC 6.5" with a small tweeter on top, i'll get some pics up tomorrow if you like..
They are proper retro boy racer, but hidden by the shelf grills, 200w but do the job!

I can now turn up the tooons!

Edit: Actually, another point was that I was just able to swap them straight over.. They lined up perfectly with the 'square' thingy and the spades were just removed from the S4 speakers and attached to the JVC ones so I could use the existing plug and wiring.

Last edited:
Any speakers are better than the stock ones, you need 6.5" coxials and also the adapter rings as the holes are uneven and square. You could also install a small amp to replace the garbage Audi use. If you go old school with an Alpine 3501 which is a very small 2 x 18wrms amp, you can use the existing wiring to power & feed it and it's so small it could be velcro'd underneath the rear deck. It will be a vast improvement on the stock unit.

awesome, Thanks. Can't seem to find where to get the amp you suggested. Sounds ideal.

Mine were blown when i bought the S4..

I used some old JVC 6.5" with a small tweeter on top, i'll get some pics up tomorrow if you like..
They are proper retro boy racer, but hidden by the shelf grills, 200w but do the job!

I can now turn up the tooons!

Edit: Actually, another point was that I was just able to swap them straight over.. They lined up perfectly with the 'square' thingy and the spades were just removed from the S4 speakers and attached to the JVC ones so I could use the existing plug and wiring.

Has the S4 got Bose system? I dont suppose you know if all JVC speakers are like this? i.e. line up and have same connection?

Sorry to be a pain, but not really clued up on ICE! lol

I have just noticed I have some Sony xs-1735 17cm 200w speakers that i had in my old rover! lol. Will see how well they fit tomorrow.

Last edited:
If its a Bose system its 2ohm not 4ohm. My rear shelf speakers did that so i replaced them with Kicker CVT 65 subs (2ohm) it now sound great too and after removing the rear shelf to get to them its not too much of a pain to get them to fit in the original holes