Reaction score
Well had my beloved 1.8se avant MOT'd today and failed, nothing major
ABS light on
Brake pedal creeps down when held under pressure
Front headlamps matched pair are not the same colour
Reg light not working on offside
Steering rack leaking and split gaiter
Offside rear braking system leaking
Rear wheel bearing excessive play, both sides.

I know its nothing major, I already have a steering rack waiting, the headlight bulbs are one is standard and one has a blue tip on it. The play in rear wheels I think will be needing tightened up more as just done the rear discs and pads.
So feeling a bit gutted found a K reg 316i lux touringon in the Autotrader and bargained it for £650. Only had 1 previous owner, the old guy had it for 13 years, garaged every night, and FSH and all receipts, Years MOT and 6months tax and in fantastic condition. So I'm gonna sell my audi, bit gutted but as loved driving it.

And you drove that on a daily bassis ? Man, ABS light on might have something to do with the rear play in the bearings as the ABS rings are built into the discs or a failed ABS controller, you might also need a master cylinder or brake servo(especially if the gromets in the plenum were blocked and the servo sucked water in-results in a rusty servo and damaged brake cylinder)...

I think when I changed my rear discs I didn't realise the abs rings were built in so didn't know to transfer them. Also think the brake pedal will be because they need bled.

I'd sort the A4 personally but hey ho. On a K is that E30 or E36? E30 would be very cool indeed. I know a guy who drops the big 3 litre in out of the old 530, tight fit but not shy at all

On a K, it'll be an E30. E30's ran till L's on the Tourings...

Shame you've lost heart with the A4 though... it's a MUCH better car then an E30 (and I've had LOADs of E30's...!)

My brother races an E30, Here it is
Photo251.jpg
[/IMG]

There it should have been! Copy and pasted the img from photobucket into the insert image thingy but still it does not work....how annoying!

Yeah its an E30 in metallic charcoal with the bbs multispokes. Although the more i think about it I might just potter away at the audi for its mot. Does anyone know if I can go to the breakers and remove the ABS ring from the rear disc and fit it into to mine as I never realised I had to swap them over until I'd chucked them out? Cheers

I'm overhauling my rear brakes soon(front ones have been fettled with no end!), can anyone post any pics, or write a brief description/how to ref removing these "elusive" ABS rings?-And do all the B5's have them fitted?

When i did mine, i just baught a pair of new rings from the dealer. They were about £15 each iirc. Unfortunately they require a press to fit them, which i dont have, so I carefully filed out the centre of the ring until it would tap onto the hub with a hammer, and added some glue to keep it there.

You can also buy brake disks with the rings fitted, my factors had both listed, but only had the non-ABS disks in stock. If i was doing it again i'd try to get a pair with the rings installed already.

Phoenix: your car is a quattro, so the rings are built into the CV joints like the front. Its only FWD's that have this press on ring on the back of the disk, so you have nowt to worry about!

So am i right in thinking that any set of abs rings will do, they don't need to be set up as such?

Nope just nail them on and you'll be away.

From your failure sheet it looks like your loosing brake fluid from the rear drivers side area, which is why the pedal is creeping down, rather than a bleeding fault.

For the wheel bearings, i tend to tighten them very gently, then get a screwdriver and use it to move the thrust washer up and down. When the preload is about right, the thrust washer becomes tight to move (not so tight you require a 12" lever to move it though). Go too far and you'll weld the bearings to the stub axle. Too loose and the bearings will wear and you'll get play, crappy handbrake and fail the MOT!

After that all you need is a couple bulbs and the steering rack.

Cheers aragorn. Now I've had time to think I think I'll just work through my MOT sheet rather than just sell it on.

I've found a few places that sell the rings. Do the have to be pressed on as I have a fly press at work?

I also managed to fit rear abs rings without a press, no problem at all.

When i did mine, i just baught a pair of new rings from the dealer. They were about £15 each iirc. Unfortunately they require a press to fit them, which i dont have, so I carefully filed out the centre of the ring until it would tap onto the hub with a hammer, and added some glue to keep it there.

You can also buy brake disks with the rings fitted, my factors had both listed, but only had the non-ABS disks in stock. If i was doing it again i'd try to get a pair with the rings installed already.

Phoenix: your car is a quattro, so the rings are built into the CV joints like the front. Its only FWD's that have this press on ring on the back of the disk, so you have nowt to worry about!

Ahhh, thanks matey. I was wondering why I didnt come across these when I did the fronts! cheers bud! Your var is looking good by the way.

I drifted the old ones off through the wheel bolt holes and refitted to the new discs with my 3 lb "lump press" :faint: