snapped bonnet cable!!!!!

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
just went to pull bonnet release on my new fixer upper and it went slack
either snapped or i didnt refit properly
how the hell do you open bonnet now
couldve been worse car had an rs4 grill on it which i'd took off so at least i wont have to wreck that, i can see screws but dont think i can get to them

Uh oh... I had the same problem once.

You don't need to take the grille off. The rad is in the way anyway...

You need to get underneath the front of the car and poke the release mechanism with a long pointy thing. You'll see what I mean when you get under there.

As mine was so low, I had to get it up on stands first so I could get under it!

cheers !!! had visions of chopping bonnet up with angle grinder

Yeah... I took the grille out only to find the radiator slap bang in the way. Grrrrrr!

Once you're under the car you'll plainly see where you need to 'poke' - might help taking the bumper off to give you a bit more crawl room... it's only a 5-minute job anyway.

You can pull the grill off. Mine jammed once and I just pulled the grill out. Luckily, somehow, I didn't break anything. :p

Dude... you're talking about the 'grille pop-out handle'. You can remove the grille and fix that... we're on about the interior pull handle... no fix but to crawl under the car.

cheers !!! had visions of chopping bonnet up with angle grinder

Go on, you know you want to!

I can't wait to get the angle grinder onto mine tomorrow! :)
Unfortunately only need to grind down a couple of millimeters off a suspension arm to fit my B6 S4 rears, but angle-grinding is angle grinding!!

fixed cheers, bumper was already off, i'd bent little ball cable end and as bonnet closed it was coming out

as for angle grinder its my second favourite tool, first is a big hammer!