coolant sludge??

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
bought another cheap a4 1.8t, dodgy bodywork and oil light flashing after about 1/2 hours driving
following byzans thread from a few weeks ago i managed to change oil pump (hardest part was cleaning sump out!)

anyway when i pulled off top radiator hose a brown sludge came out (looked exactly like very thick chocolate milkshake)
anyone got a clue what it is or what caused it?

Mixing standard antifreeze and original G12 coolant is the usual cause. G12+ is supposed to handle mixing better.

You'll need to properly flush the whole system and refill with proper red OAT coolant.

thats what i was hoping it was, had head gasket failure going through my mind though
will get the hose on it and cross my fingers

If it's brown sludge, it'll be the coolant mix scenario. Nothing too much to worry about and recoverable from.

You should worry if it's a light cream colour, like mayo. That's a sign of the head-gasket not being happy.

I had this and thought head gasket. Once I looked into it it was the oil cooler. Apparently it's much more common on these. It was only around £30 from euro car parts and an easy change, worst part is flushing the coolant system out. It happened after changing my oil pump, I think the increased pressure from the new pump prob caused it.