Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    Neutral

Status

Rear speakers/DIS not working

Hi guys, any audio experts care to help with this one

I have a 96 1.8T Sport and bought a Concert radio for it. I removed the adaptor loom that was attached to the Audi loom

Problem 1, it does not fit ie it will not fit flush into the opening but sits in front of it. However this I can live with as it still looks better than the non-Audi unit that was in

Problem 2, seems to function okay but I appear to have no rear speakers (tried to FAD to back only) and no information on the DIS

Problem 3, I checked the previous thread re rear speakers and noted AndyMac's image of what the radio should look like. I only have the black and brown connectors and a single felt cover wire which I believe might be earth. I have checked around in the cavity and cannot find anything else, no yellow, green or light blue blocks

Anyone fancy a challenge ?

Thanks Dermot

ps I can get some images if this will help [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

Re: Rear speakers/DIS not working

Dermot, it sounds like you have one of the early A4's that came without externally amplified rear speakers.

DIS is easy, it's only 3 wires you need to connect.

Status

Hi Dermot, the rear amp/speakers and the DIS run off the yellow/blue/green mini ISO connector.
    On some models this is just a single black connector. It must be there. I would remove the glovebox, which will give you better access to the rear of the radio, chances are the connector wasn't used on the previous head unit so was tucked back to keep it out the way.

Neutral

Status

If you had a non-Audi head unit in before then there would have been trim pieces either side of it http://www.mcmillan-uk.com/a4hu.jpg to fill in the gaps - if you havent removed these then the Audi unit will not fit flush.

Does the brown plug only have 4 wires connected to it - the middle 4, with the outer 2 on each side left blank?

The other felt covered single wire with a brown? plug is the earth and plugs onto the back of the head units case - you will see a metal tab bent out from the case for it.

The rear speakers should be run from a yellow connector and the DIS display from a green connector - as AndyMac has said, these are probably tucked behind the dash somewhere.

Neutral

Status

Hi guys, thanks for the replies so far

I have just had a nosey around the cavity again and still no joy. Only thing I can find is a block with a foam sleeve over it which seems to be connected both ends

If the other blocks are tied back somewhere, what direction should I be heading ie towards the steering wheel or left towards the passenger footwell ? Is the a possibility I don't have these blocks ?

I noticed that the black block has 4 wires and connects to a cavity with 8 pins and the brown block has 8 wires and connects to a cavity with 4 pins. I have not inserted incorrectly as the blocks are poka-yoka

I have removed the edge trims and the radio will still not fit flush

Dermot ??

Status

If the speaker harness (brown block) has 8 wires then it is pre-wired for both front & rear speakers, which means you must have, as excursion says, an early model that doesn't have a separate rear amp (check the rear left speaker, does it have a small amp connected to the magnet underneath), and runs the rear speakers straight off the head unit. This means you have a slight problem as the Concert HU doesn't have a rear speaker amp, just one for the fronts.
    You'd need to buy the Blaupunkt RCA adapter to give you access to the Concert's pre-outs & remote on, and buy a small amp (like an Alpine 3540 or similar on ebay for 25) and tuck it behind the glovebox and get a speaker harness adapter so you can break the rear speakers out from the Audi loom (without cutting) and connect these to the amp.
    Quite a bit of hassle.
    On the fascia, have to just unclipped the spacers?
    The spacers normally clip into brackets that are screwed into the fascia panel. You'll need to unscrew these and remove them to get the unit to sit flush.

Neutral

Status

Hi excursion, could you possibly post details of what wires to pick up for the DIS ?

Did these early models have DIS capability ?

Just asking as the radio doesn't fit the cavity (even with the non_audi radio trim removed)

Thanks Dermot

Neutral

Status

Hi Andy, stupid question here

Would it be possible to use the front speaker amp to drive both front and back ie jumpering together the unpinned wires in the brown plug with the pinned wires ?

Or is there just not enough power to do this ?

Or will the loom fry ?

Thanks Dermot

ps am I likely to hit any problems if I want to install an Audi CD changer ?

Status

That would mean wiring in parallel which will reduce the load to the HU to 2ohms so likely fry the amp eventually. It's a horrible idea as the Concert has barely enough power to drive the fronts let alone anything else. I would go the amp route.
    For a CD changer you will need to get one with the Audi loom included (mini ISO to 13 pin changer plug), which is unlikely as pulling out the changer bus is quite involved.
    I would get an aftermarket changer like the Sony MP3 changer which has the adapter at the HU end, so should include the bus lead. You'll still have to get hold of the mini-ISO bit to plug into the back of the HU.
    These are the prices you pay to get an average stereo working in an Audi whilst keeping the stock look.

6th Gear

Status

Is it possibel to get the dis working with a non factory fit Head Unit eg Sony?

Status

No

Neutral

Status

Hi Andy, just another angle

What if I nipped down to the breakers yard and get the speakers from a 98 Audi with the amps built in ?

Would this work ?

Any wiring problems installing these speakers ?

Thanks Dermot

Neutral

Status

Quick question re the dimensions of the radio

Did the width of the Concert HU facia increase at any time ?

I think mine is about 8-10mm too wide for the cavity and about 3-4mm too short

Dermot

Status

You'd need to get the wiring loom as well.
    The widths shown below are exactly the same (Concert from A3 on top, Delta from A4 underneath)
    but the depth is different, the Concert is deeper, this may be the problem.

Neutral

Status

I think I see the problem

The Concert I have has an extra 3-4mm either side of the raised section.

Your radio's raised section has about 2-3mm to the edge, mine has 5-6mm

I this a later Concert ?

Dermot

ps the Delta is really a terrible looking unit is it not ?

5th Gear

Status

have you got one out of the B6 A4?

Status

The Concert is a '99, the Delta a 97.
    Yes it is butt ugly, which is why it resides in my loft, with 2 paper bags over it's head (just in case one falls off). Sounds as good as it looks.

Neutral

Status

Hi Andy, just checked again on e-bay. No mention of the year, but the code 4B0 035 186 was given which should be the correct radio

Measured the unit and it is 232x58 whilst the cavity in my car is 222x61

C'est la vie

Next time I'll double check

Will have to off load this now

Dermot

Status

Is it a Matsu****a? As they changed from Blaupunkt around 98/99. the one above is a Blaupunkt.

Neutral

Status

Hi Andy, just checked, it is indeed a Matsu****a

Dermot

Neutral

Status

Hi Andy, finally got around the problem of the radio being too wide

Took a deep breath and used a hacksaw to cut off the excess either side, filed it down and rounded the corners. From the front you cannot tell the difference

Got a Sony CDX T69 on e-bay, complete with cables and so I now have CD changer

Just have to get the rear speakers working now

Dermot

6th Gear

Status

what rear speakers have you currently got? I had a 95 A4 SE that didnt have the active connector, and I needed to use an audi 80 or a mark2 golf harness adapter to get my aftermarket headunit working. Check the number of pins connected by looking at the speakers in the boot, if its more than two, you've already got the amped rear speakers.

Funny thing is, it still used the amped rear speakers, even though it didnt have the long ISO block connector - the factory fittings were the two (brown speaker and black power) ISO plugs.

not too sure if this helps you or not really.. but mine went against all the documentation.

Finally, is there any output at all from the headunit for the rear channels? Has the headunit been vag-commed to work with your car?