Help wanted, front seats wont click into position

cossie

Reaction score
Both my front seats strugle to 'click' into position if slid forwards or backwards unless the person takes their weight off the seat for a moment. Looking under the seat, the rod which engages into the holes to hold it in set position is lying a little low(hence if the person sitting takes their weight off it clicks into place). Was wondering if this can be adjusted in any way or if its just sagging due to age, car is a 1996 1.8t sport. Don't know if this is anything to do with it but both seats are also a bit shaky and move from side to side when getting in or out. Thanks.

Should line up perfectly... Is there a little spring which connects it to the handle?

Under each seat at the front there should be a plastic piece that fits across the top of the end it sounds like yours are missing when that is in place it makes it higher therefore making the holes line up because it sits higher..

Same thing with your seats they move all over the place that is also why you have the plastic pieces it takes up the play and stops that side to side movement..

Thanks mate. When u say 'the top of the end' do u mean the end of the runner at the front of the seat? Any idea what this piece is called or where to get 1 or is it something i could make up myself? Thanks again.

Right,when you look under the seat right at the front of the end of the runner the piece that as all the holes in..there should be a plastic piece it fits very snugly over the top of the end

It's sometimes difficult to see which way round it goes but in fact will only work one way...I will try to get a pic of it so you know what I mean..

If you have not got one then someone as had the seats out and gave up on replacing it properly..the whole runner system is based on the old VW Beetle Runner including the plastic you are having trouble with..

Thanks, a pic would be great. I'll have another look under mine 2mor to see what i've got(or not got!)

Your spot on mate, mine defo doesn't have this. Really appreiciate you going and taking a pic of this.
Now for fixing...i take it i'll have to remove the seats to install this piece and if you do happen to find the part no. that would be great. Cheers.

No don't remove the seats you will have to pull the lever at the front with the seat in place then you fit the Plastic piece and push the seat along so that the front runner traps the plastic piece between the gap where it fits...when you get the piece you will have more idea from the shape it is in which way it fits in...

Will look for the part number tomorrow sometime later in the afternoon...I might take mine out and get it from that...

Awesome mate, sounds like it should be a fix even i can do! Thanks so much for your help and time, you've been most helpful.
Look forward to your reply 2mor.

Right Here goes took one of mine out in the end to get the pics and the damn Part Number..This is how yours should look(fig 1)You will have to take both Rail-Stoppers off the back of the Seat Rail see fig 4 and fig 5 it's just a Phillips screw holding them in..

There is a one inch long square metal spring piece(See fig 1) at the front of the bar you will be able to see it in the pic just get pliers on that and pull it out otherwise the seat will not go back..

Pull the lever to move the seat just slightly back so you can get at the place where the Glide(that is what it's called)as to be fitted you will see from fig 2 the seat pulled back and how your's will now look with no Glide fitted..

Right now get the Glide(fig 3) and fit it in the top there is a hole in the top as you might be able to see from the pic and a protruding bit on the glide that fits that hole..

When you are happy it is in properly make sure the seat at the back is in contact both sides on the rail,here is the hard bit took be about half an hour to get this ****** thing lined up properly you pull the lever back and it as to fit in the bar at the same time and you have to pull the seat forward also, and line the hole up and it will trap the plastic Glide as it comes forward..

This is when you might wish you had not started this but it's ok just persevere you will get there in the end..I did wonder if I was going to get mine back in again and thought why did I create this problem..when done put the stoppers back on the rails at the back and jobs a good un..

Good luck if you have a problem let me know...you need 2 Glides to do both seats obviously part number is there in pic 3, I had a nightmare trying to read the number I had to get magnifying glass on it..

Should be Pennies anyway from Audi...Your Seats will Rattle no more :icon_thumright:

These are the pics to help you know what I have been saying..

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/biggirls/2010_0409Part000100.jpg(Fig 1) Glide fitted
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/biggirls/2010_0409Part0007.jpg (Fig 2) Glide Removed
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/biggirls/2010_0409Part0014.jpg (Fig 3) Glide Part Number
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/biggirls/2010_0409Part0005.jpg (Fig 4) Left Hand Back Stopper
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/biggirls/2010_0409Part10035.jpg (Fig 5) Right Hand Back Stopper

Last edited:
You've went above and beyond there mate, can't thank you enough(might not be saying that once i actually tackle it!). Does sound a little tricky but i'll give it a bash. Back to work 2mor so will try and order the parts and hopefully get it done next week, i'll let you know how it goes mate. Thanks again.