temperature gauge a4 tdi problem

neal

Reaction score
should the temperature gauge stay at 90oc when up to temperature as my gauge never used to read anything so put it down to a dodgy thermastat, just had a cambelt service and had a new water pump and thermastat fitted at the same time. when the car got up to temperature the gauge went up to 90oc and would stay there problem solved happy days , that was 2weeks ago. this morning however on the way to work cruiseing down the motorway car up to temperature gauge reading 90oc slowed down to exit the motorway and the temperature just dropped once back up to speed it went back up to 90oc again.when i got to work popped the bonnet had a look no leaks or loss of water no loose connecters that i could see. on the way home from work it did the same. does this mean the thermastat has failed or the sender is know playing up or is this normal.the last 2weeks i've done loads of miles and it never once dropped like this once up to temperature.any ideas?????????

hi mate the only thing to change now is the temp sensor if the gauge is fluctuating this is usually the problem all the audis i have owned which is eight upto now once they have reached 90c have stayed there regardless of driving conditions or outside temperature . now there is one other thing that could of gone wrong and that is the new thermostat as failed in the open position if this is the case it would take the car quite a long time to warm up due to the water being circulated through the radiator all the time . but if i was you i would replace the temp sensor as its quite cheap

cant find the temp sender? checked the haynes manual and said its at the back of the block but i cant see anything that looks like a temp sender there can any one point me in the right direction or show me a photo as i'd rather do it myself than take it to a garage.