DIS telling me brake light out

BigBen

Reaction score
Hi all, my DIS constantly has warning telling me a brake bulb is out- orange illumination bulb in brackets with X through the bulb.

All of my bulbs are fine so i am stumped and it is really annoying me-

are there any known causes of this problem? Also on my DIS it often goes very red- like way to much colour and you can't really read the text- no lines through it which i know is the normal fault.

Any thoughts appreciated

If your certain its not the bulbs (including the high level) then its probably a faulty bulb monitoring box.

bulbs are defo all good. What and where is this box?

Que me to sound dumb- the relay box as in the fuse panel - or the box where the ecu is :icon_thumright:

I found it. Trip to scrappie soon - do all audi have same one?

Before you assume the monitoring system is faulty, make sure all connections and terminals on the rear lights are clean and corrosion-free etc.
In my experience cars with DIS don't like cheap quality bulbs either, so make sure that you are using 'premium quality' bulbs as they seem to be better finished and less susceptible to making a poor contact when in-situ.
I used to use cheapo brake bulbs (Ring brand) from Wilko in my car but had several cases of the bulb only lasting 3-4 months before the DIS would flash, and sometimes a new bulb wouldn't stop the warning from appearing.....
Then switched to Bosch bulbs and have had no probs since.
It may be all a coincidence, but am convinced its all down to bulb quality more than anything else.......

Sometimes, my DIS comes up with a bulb failure warning when I turn my lights on. They are non-OEM HID's. It goes off after about 5 seconds though.

Maybe a similar thing. Mine doesn't do it all the time though...

It does it with the fuel too... stupid thing... I've got LOADS left... honest!

I have heard of the small bulbs in the cyclops light being the cause of this as they "wear out" as it were