Texture paint... ROCKS!

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
Found some texture paint on eBay. It's not cheap, but the results are REALLY good.

I bought this to use on parts for my Mk2 Jetta, and I've been playing with it over the weekend - crap pictures I know, but if you can imagine somewhere in between the two (flash and no-flash)... it looks like a proper factory finish! You prep your item with etch primer, then matt black it, then lightly spray this stuff on it. You only need a very light covering to get the right effect. Too much and it dries smooth. Touch dry in about 20 seconds... Awesome!

I think I'm going to do something custom with the Jetta grille this time. Going to try and not over do it with this stuff, but I can see myself getting a bit carried away with it!

Find it here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220564172782&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

vw_bad10.jpg

vw_bad11.jpg

yuk .... how does he wash that car?

Same way you do...

Its not an S4, its a fwd a4. Hes since changed the wheels and painted the bedliner in audi silver.

TBH it would look far better in black, its not so much bad as different.

not what you'd call cheap that plasti-dip!
did you use primer etc ?

Nope, just scuffed up the chrome paint a little and sprayed away. Been on for a year now and probably been hit by a million stone chips and it's still solid, no flaking at all.

Could post up some pic's of the item's you used the plastic dip on. ta.

Not great photos sorry:

3097460815_69f26f897c.jpg

audi-headlight-2.jpg

But you can see how nicely it matches the rest of the grill.

Geeman. I like that look a lot. A lot of OE engine covers are painted like that. I am probably going to do my Audi grill rings in that now! nice one!

Seen a lot of RS owners(Ford) getting into this the last couple of years, referred to as "Crackle black" finish, think powder coaters do it, looks excellent!

Yeah it does look excellent. A nicely sprayed up rocker transforms the whole look of the engine bay.

I think rocker cover and inlet manifold would look good in this stuff...

Yep, mostly rocker covers, header tanks, swirl pots etc ive seen, and looks great when it all ties together in the bay, understated but lovely!

I vote you do the rocker Aragorn, will look cool!!! I'll try dig up some pics for you's!