Are the coilovers on ebay any good

theviking

Reaction score
Hi iv just told the misses that we need new suspension ha ha ha ha and want to sneak coilovers on iv limited cash and have seen a set on flee bay for 260 delivered are they any good they look ok iv had 700 quids worth bak in single life on my mk 1 gti fk s and were good but these look very similar ?

I have cheap eBay jobbies on my Sport and they're okay.

Lots of other people will tell you not to buy them, but if you can't afford to splash out £700 on a set (like me), then these will do just fine. :icon_thumright:

I'm sure someone on the forum did a big writeup on the ebay coilovers and they appeared to be OK. Not sure how long they would last, but just keep you old setup just in case.

Mine have been on over a year, with no problems... and I got them second hand!

I haven't got a link dude.

just go for the cheap ones on eBay... make sure you get the right ones though... Quattro and 2wd are different... as are pre-facelift and facelift rears...!

There's a bloke on edition38 who sells them for under £200, brand new, surely they wont be worth getting? Although there TUV approved and they have a years gaurentee

i jst put audi coilovers into e bay and there they were i might get em soon need a ladder to get out my motor at mo!ones iv seen are 250 delivered and are spax !

try damian @ DPM Performance. He lerks on this forum, very good fast service. Highly rated on here. i got my coils and some poly bush bits off him.

which spax have you found? i fitted a set of spax rsx to my golf at the weekend

I'm going to glue some Austin Metro hydra gas struts onto the front of ours at the weekend, and i've found some valve springs from an old engine that should do as replacement rear springs, i'll just cable tie two or three of them together for each side to stop the tyres scraping on the inside of the wheel tubs. Got some rear dampers from a Landrover too, so they should finish off the rear end nicely, and make it nice and firm.

It'll handle like its on rails when i'm finished.

:icon_thumright:

iv use a turkey twister and some 4 curley wirlys sweet ride and you can eat after u have driven sawwwwweeeeeettttt

theviking: On a serious note, i dont like cheap crap replacing critical components of the car.

The only thing those ebay coilovers are good for, is dumping a car on its ****, and there are no positive outcomes to be had from doing that.

If you want the car scraping along the floor, then by all means indulge yourself. If you want to actually improve how the car drives, then you should be spending your money on quality components instead.

Not everyone has the money to do that. I'm pretty sure i dont have a spare £700 laying around to spend on 'quality components'

thanks man i want to lower it by bout 35 mm and i would like to improve the hadleing my old gti wason f in rails it was super dooper its defo a conundrum ! i need to investigate into a little deeper thanks

i hav u can av it ha ha ha hhhhhaaaaaa not really ,yeah budget is a factor and choice too neeeeed to think in my thinking cap !

Nor do i have a spare 700quid, which is why the cars still on OEM dampers and springs.

I've got some new (OEM) rear shocks to fit at some point which cost me 30quid, and i'll probably look at hooking it up with some eibach or similar springs for a mild drop once the new wheels are on.

Mines on 35mm H+R springs with standard shocks and sits quite nice but i want it lower so i'm opting for coilovers. As i've just bought my first house i'm on a budget so the ebay cheapies will do for now, they'll prob be crap but there's a 2 year guarentee so if anything goes majorly wrong they'll be sent back.