difference between 1.8T engines

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi,

Just had a thought, what is teh difference between the normal 150bhp engine in a FWD and the 180bhp engine in the Quattro?

Just had an insurance quote for a Quattro... £1600, FWD £1000. It's a rediculous differance!!

Thanks in advance!

Sam

30 BHP and more expensive to repair if you prang it as suspension components are not cheap.

The basic engine is the same tbh bar a bit more boost as std.

LOL!!! I guessed the +30bhp bit.

So its just a map that makes them different? No difference in internals, turbo, injectors, etc?

Thanks Byzan

I had to pay an extra £100 to go from a A4 1.8 with N/A engine to a A4 with a 1.8T engine, they are the same value, same model type (saloon) no chips, no mods etc etc... So 20bhp extra = £100:tocktock:

I had to pay an extra £100 to go from a A4 1.8 with N/A engine to a A4 with a 1.8T engine, they are the same value, same model type (saloon) no chips, no mods etc etc... So 20bhp extra = £100:tocktock:

well 25 BHP anyway, again more parts to break in a crash, more sought after(read,stealable) Also more power tends to lead to more speed and the likelyhood of more crashes.

FWIW i went from a 250 BHP FWD A4 to a quattro 180 and had to pay £50 more...... The old car had a full S4 kit, an engine conversion, bigger brakes etc. However strange it is, we are stuck paying it

FWIW i went from a 250 BHP FWD A4 to a quattro 180 and had to pay £50 more...... The old car had a full S4 kit, an engine conversion, bigger brakes etc. However strange it is, we are stuck paying it

lol, nice. How was the FWD with that sort of power? and what did it take?

Insurance makes no sence... in the ideal world, I want an S2... £1160, where as the A4 1.8t FWD...£1193!!! HOW!?

Just the S2 is hard to find, as I'm sure you will agree. Just want turbo power! that gives more of a kick than my v6 (not that she is a slouch by any means)

Have to say I don't agree with the parts comment, the only real extra part is the turbo + I'm third party only on the B5's as full comp is not worth it on that age of car. I think most B5's will get written off if the accident damages the quattro system. Someone on this forum has just had a B6 written off (i think) and looked only minor damage to the front-end which is a shame.

Have to say I don't agree with the parts comment, the only real extra part is the turbo + I'm third party only on the B5's as full comp is not worth it on that age of car. I think most B5's will get written off if the accident damages the quattro system. Someone on this forum has just had a B6 written off (i think) and looked only minor damage to the front-end which is a shame.

There are quite a few more parts than just a turbo. But lets not get into that. Its more to do with desireability and stealability AFIK.

I am not an underwritter so cannot explain it any more than that.

The B6 was quite a heavy hit TBH hence the write off

Insurance makes no sence... in the ideal world, I want an S2... £1160, where as the A4 1.8t FWD...£1193!!! HOW!?

£1K+ for insurance on a A4 1.8T f a duck......:faint: I pay £350 third party and includes class 2 business usage.

I'm only 19 mate, 2 years NCB, with my 18 yr old girlfriend on it (+ +/-£200) all mods declared £1050 for my car.

Anyway i just dont know what to do... a4 1.8t, a3 1.8TQS, S2, keep mine. lol! I hate my indecisivness!

Apart from quite a few cosmetics there is little difference between the AEB engine and AJL engine. As far as I am aware there isn't even any difference with the turbo. The KO3s which is supposedly fitted to the 1.8TSQ is a myth and as far as I can see the only difference with regard the turbo is a change in the turbo actuator. Insurance companies just rip us off and we have to get used to it. In my opinion the TQS is a better car by a long chalk......better interior, styling, performance and better residuals, unfortunately that comes at a cost which IMO is excessive.

1.8T is group 15 and the TQS is group 18. That jump alone will hike up the price, even if the performance is identical.

As you say theres no mechanical differences between the two engines, but the quattro was a more expensive model when new, and thats reflected in the insurance categories.

Apart from quite a few cosmetics there is little difference between the AEB engine and AJL engine. As far as I am aware there isn't even any difference with the turbo. The KO3s which is supposedly fitted to the 1.8TSQ is a myth and as far as I can see the only difference with regard the turbo is a change in the turbo actuator. Insurance companies just rip us off and we have to get used to it. In my opinion the TQS is a better car by a long chalk......better interior, styling, performance and better residuals, unfortunately that comes at a cost which IMO is excessive.

1.8T is group 15 and the TQS is group 18. That jump alone will hike up the price, even if the performance is identical.

As you say theres no mechanical differences between the two engines, but the quattro was a more expensive model when new, and thats reflected in the insurance categories.

Ah right, ok. That's what I wanted to know.

Sorry, just to be an extra pain, How come on most remap sites, they give a gain of more, or the same on the 180. this means it will have more power mapped than a 150 mapped. how does this work if they are the same engine anyway, just 180 is factory mapped higher?

they just wind the boost up more!

your average remap on a 150hp engine will push it from 8psi to 12-14psi, whereas the 180's are already at 12, so they go up to 16-18psi.

You could push the 150hp model just as far, but not with an off-the-shelf map.

with my 18 yr old girlfriend on it !

there is a £500 saving right there! :)
insurance is ajust a tax we have to put up with. shop around and don't assume that the big boys are cheaper. they are often not.
I ended up with Adrian Flux as I was finding the list of modifications was longer than the list of OE specifications.
they turned out cheaper than both Admiral and Churchill (which I think are the same company anyway are'nt they).

guy I was speaking to doing the quote was a top bloke, I started asking him if there were any limits to modifications that they would cover.
he says "I haven't found any yet and I am 23 driving a 350bhp Sierra Cosworth!"

I insured by B5 1.8t last november just short of £700 fully comp with 1 year no claims. I'm 31 and I've only been driving about 18 months. I'm insured with admiral... Adrian flux worked out more expensive.

they just wind the boost up more!

your average remap on a 150hp engine will push it from 8psi to 12-14psi, whereas the 180's are already at 12, so they go up to 16-18psi.

You could push the 150hp model just as far, but not with an off-the-shelf map.

Oh right. are there any ill effects with doing this on a 150? (i suppose not if they are the same) Could it just not have the map for a 180?

there is a £500 saving right there! :)
insurance is ajust a tax we have to put up with. shop around and don't assume that the big boys are cheaper. they are often not.
I ended up with Adrian Flux as I was finding the list of modifications was longer than the list of OE specifications.
they turned out cheaper than both Admiral and Churchill (which I think are the same company anyway are'nt they).

guy I was speaking to doing the quote was a top bloke, I started asking him if there were any limits to modifications that they would cover.
he says "I haven't found any yet and I am 23 driving a 350bhp Sierra Cosworth!"

Haha! Yeh but she has me on hers, so only fair i guess!

350bhp sierra cossie at 23!?.... niice!

They have a better spec,cost more new,much rarer,more bhp. Lots of reasons it cost more to insure. Saying that i was doing quoter for an s4 and was about £400 fully comp,same age rs4 was about £300 fully comp and on my quattro sport im about £200 fully comp. Only reason i can see for the rs4 being cheaper than the s4 is that far fewer of them are crashed or stolen as there isnt as many in the first place?

mines just under 1k for 3 cars fully comp two named drivers and 9 points between us

not sure what group the tdi is but its only £30 more for the tqs

I've been checking for the S4 for a while now, i've finaly settled on the Admiral Mutli-Car thingy.

My Fiancee has a 56 plate Pug 207, and drives alot.
I am the main driver on the S4, with business miles, with her as occasional and me claiming the no claims.
She's the main driver on hers, without business miles, with me as occasional and her getting the no claims.

So that's both of us as fully comp on both cars.

£443 now and £345 in june when her's is up for renewal.

I think it's a great quote, seen as though i'm 26 in April and she's just turned 23.

Don't wanna make you jealous, but I pay £180 fully comp. I'm with Privilege at the moment. Switft Cover were also very good, but for some reason couldn't cover my old '85 Mk2 Golf 1.3c - Don't ask me why as they couldn't tell me, so I switched to Privilege.

It helps being old(er). Also helps having a willing g/f who'll go on the insurance. And... it also helps having two cars on the policy (you can't drive both cars at once!)

Ben... that's an AWESOME deal. Even better than mine!