Central Locking Pump Repair Kits Feedback

bhainart

Reaction score
Hi All

Just replaced my central locking pump and thought I would share my experiences with the forum to help anyone else with this problem.

After whipping out the old pump and taking it to bits found the usual problem, shattered graphite impeller disc (smaller middle disc with four grooves in a cross shape).

What to do ? Buy replacement graphite discs or re-furb pump ? Both options to be got off eBay for best value IMHO.

I was at first tempted to go for replacing the graphite discs but after taking the pump to bits found that to reverse engineer the process was not that straightforward, how the hell do they go back together ? With no immediate information to hand I got some feedback from this forum (thanks again "old_skool" !!) but still wasn't confident about putting the dics back together correctly.

After looking around on eBay I found a guy who sells what he describes as a kit to repair the pump for £40. This may seem more expensive than replacing the discs but the guy gave free postage which was useful......

Due to earache from my missus who kept setting the alarm off due to the knackered pump I had to make the decision to buy the pump repair kit for what I thought was going to be the quickest ball-ache free fix for me. paid my money and two days later pump repair kit arrives.

Opening the parcel the first thing I noticed was that the motor unit is substantially meatier than the old Audi OEM motor. The discs are also thicker than my old unit. I am not sure what the motor has come off but I have read elsewhere that VW Passat motors are better than the Audi unit so it could be off a VW (or even a Merc ?).

Took me five minutes to fit the pump to the car and hey presto, working central locking. Happy Missus, happy kids and all is once again right in Audi land !!!! The best part about the kit was that I did not need to re-code anything. Simples !

In conclusion. If you take the pump out of the car completely before fitting replacement bear in mind that you will have no immobiliser working (potential insurance company get out clause) and no electric windows. To go for the option I did or get the disc replacements is neither here nor there. I cannot comment on the thickness or provenance of the disc kits and as mentioned above I wasn't happy about how to fit them into the motor correctly.

This is the link to the kit I used:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIX-YOUR-CENTRAL-LOCKING-PUMP-BY-YOURSELF-8D0862257_W0QQitemZ170456200954QQihZ007QQcategoryZ15329QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this was useful feedback for anyone else with this problem.

The immobiliser has nothing to do with the central locking pump, thats between the key, dash and engine ECU. You'd lose the alarm though.

The early pumps fitted the Audi 80's, 100's and early A4's (4A0 code) have the larger motor/disks, but afaik the kits oldskool sell contain the larger disks anyway.

Thanks for the corrections guys you obviously know far more than I. I just wish I could find a manual for my car so that even the simple things are easy to do. Haynes certainly does not seem to cover it.

I still advise on the side of caution not removing the unit so that the alarm does not work any more. These insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of paying out a claim.

As stated in my post I was not sure which donor vehicle the units came from but the fact it fits is all that matters to me and that I didn't have to shell out a few hundred quid for a replacement unit. I did read on an American forum about Passat units but the need for a fix out weighed the need to become an expert on central locking pumps and associated auto electrical ramifications.

What may be useful for other forum users would be guys who have the knowledge/experience to post an article about this subject complete with pretty pictures and diagrams. Can the older 80/100 pumps be fitted to the A4 ? Do you have to re-code anything and if so how ? How exactly do the discs line up on the disc kits ?

Once again guys thanks for the feedback regarding the errors in my post. Always useful to have any info possible.

The older pumps arent usable directly, unless you have a 95-96 A4, which will already have the older pump. The wiring isnt compatible with the later style of pump.

The best you can manage is what you've done, by swapping out the motor bit.

I got a set of impellers from oldskool and my pump works a treat now. Its not hard at all to change to be honest.

Thanks for help so far guys. Sounds like my pump has gone because all I'm hearing when I press the fob is this loud whiz-like, grinding noise coming from the boot and no action on any of the doors. Think I'm gonna have a go and replace the pump as said in the first message.

However quick question regarding this post:

"If you take the pump out of the car completely before fitting replacement bear in mind that you will have no immobiliser working (potential insurance company get out clause) and no electric windows."

I understand that the immobiliser will still work cuz it's not part of the same system and I'm not worries about the alarm noise (because mine doesnt work at the minute anyway and I've told me insurance). But is it true that if I try changing this myself there is a risk that the windows may not work as well?

That's the only thing that makes me nervous about doing this myself. Is it a straight swap with no tools? I'm pretty handy with changing stuff generally but don't wanna make a pigs ear of this if it's gonna throw any circuits/electrics out and leave me motor even more knackered than it is now.

Cheers guys

The pump is part of the leccy window circuit ( so you can operate windows with key fob )
So removing disables windows until you refit it thats all