S4 b5 brake pads

S4speed

Reaction score
Hi all

Im new here - need help/advice please

I need a new set of pads for the front of my 99 facelift S4, I have credit to use with an online retailer they do EBC, are red stuff any good?

I see the EBC listed as 97-99 and >99, they look a little different. I originally ordered Black Diamond [listed 97-01] but they don't have the locating lug on the outside pads the current pads [lucas] ones have ???

Yes Im a novice! I have my car a year but only lately am I putting spanners on it

ye there are defo differences between pre and post facelift, the calipers have a completely different anti-rattle clip on the facelift cars.

I dont like EBC personally. I'd be fitting Ferodo DS2500's or Mintex M1144's.

and if youre going to EBCs, i definately recommend yellows over reds, without a doubt

Unfortunately Mintex dont list S4 pads so i was told today

Pagid sell their "yellow" spec ones at £360 + VAT for the set (yea right!)

Looking at options, personally I dont like EBC at all.

Andy

Ye it seems the S4 pads are particularly obscure, and the change half way thru the life of the car didnt help matters either.

Personally, i'd junk the crappy B5 S4 calipers and get yourself a set of B6 S4 items.

Craig picked up a set for 80quid on ebay, the disks are 345x30mm and only 45quid each, and they use the same pads as all B6/7 Models so the selection is huge.

Had the Black Diamond Predators on for a while now, really good and well recommended.

Ye it seems the S4 pads are particularly obscure, and the change half way thru the life of the car didnt help matters either.

Personally, i'd junk the crappy B5 S4 calipers and get yourself a set of B6 S4 items.

Craig picked up a set for 80quid on ebay, the disks are 345x30mm and only 45quid each, and they use the same pads as all B6/7 Models so the selection is huge.

£45 each for disks???????? is that right. how come the B5 RS4 disks are £500 then? im currently hunting for the RS4 setup which will have 360mm disks but if i can get the B6 S4 ones and are they are up to the job as the RS4 then i mite go down that route. i cant see them being £45 each a disk though.

been looking around for calipers.... some good priced Brembo ones..

has anyone fitted 4 pots?

there are some Toureg ones on the bay I though may work..?? any ideas

andy

im not really clued up on searching the net for things so need help on where to find brakes setup for my S4. where can i get second hand AP's, Brembo's, MOViT etc????

Guys thanks for all the replys! I may have a think about the b6 brake conversion as at MOT today I was told I had binding front brakes, Going to get a look at them at the weekend hopefully an easy fix :banghead:

Last edited:
twiggy: Euro car parts has them listed at 45each for generic ones or 60quid each for Pagid OEM disks. Pads are cheap too, as they're the same as the cooking spec B6/7 models.

They're cheaper because they're normal steel disks, and the S4 is a much higher volume car than the RS4.

Ok, they're a bit smaller at 345mm rather than 360, but the B6 S4 is both heavier and more powerful than the B5 (340hp and 1700kgs vs 265hp and 1500kgs) so i recon they'll be more than adequate.

twiggy: Euro car parts has them listed at 45each for generic ones or 60quid each for Pagid OEM disks. Pads are cheap too, as they're the same as the cooking spec B6/7 models.

They're cheaper because they're normal steel disks, and the S4 is a much higher volume car than the RS4.

Ok, they're a bit smaller at 345mm rather than 360, but the B6 S4 is both heavier and more powerful than the B5 (340hp and 1700kgs vs 265hp and 1500kgs) so i recon they'll be more than adequate.

fair play dude that is cheap as chips, my disks which were put on last year are cheapo's and cost well over £100 quid from euro car parts. 321mm. im undecided on wot to do with the brakes yet as if i can get second hand AP's, Bembo's or Movit then ill be looking at them but the B6 S4 setup sounds good. is it a straight swap or does anything need changing??

So hows this b6 s4 kit fit is it straight forward , ive had some B5 RS4 calipers carriers and shields in the garage for ages cause the price of the disks are ridiculous, i would sell them and get b6 S4 setup instead. If i can find some that is

Had the Black Diamond Predators on for a while now, really good and well recommended.

Would have been well happy to try them, but Im guessing where I got them only stock pre facelift pads or the ones before they changed on the b5, as they where sure they would fit my car

What year is your car and is it facelift?

99 Facelift, I have looked into DS2500s seems you cant get them, so its EBC red or yellow, OR a caliper change.......... Dam I just got a set of b6 alloys - now I need the brakes aswell? :think:

One of the pistons in a front caliper is very very stiff to push back, can anyone recommend somewhere that does recond' calipers?

OK!!

JUST TO CONFIRM.......

B6 S4 Calipers fit directly to the hub carriers and use STD disks?

thanks

andy

One of the pistons in a front caliper is very very stiff to push back, can anyone recommend somewhere that does recond' calipers?

just take the piston out mate, get yourself some new seals from audi(couple of quid) and refurb the pistons and seals, my front offside piston had sealed and found that the rubber seal had melted to the piston so i cleaned it all off put new seals in and bobs your gay auntie

Andy, Yes, stock B6 disks and calipers will bolt streight onto an S4. If its a non-S4 quattro you'll need to change the uprights to S4 or B6 ones.

cool, found some B6 S4 calipers........... so thats the option then as the B5 S4 pad options are sooooo poooo!

cheers