Induction kit views

AndyC

Reaction score
Website
www.k-tecracing.com
Guys

as you may know I work in the tuning industry...

my usual line is not to fit induction kits to cars... gains are minimal for the cost...

however I dont have the experience on the S4 B5...........

SOOO.....

Do I fit and reasons please

Panel filter
Cone (with heat sheild)
Closed type inlet

cheers

Andy

Nothing. The standard paper air filter is good for over 400hp.

The stupid aftermarket things DONT filter properly, irrespective of it being a cone or panel. They filter that badly that they then rely on the filter material being impregnated with oil as a poor attempt to improve the filtration, which overtime contaminates the airflow meter.

Stick to a good condition paper filter, changed regularly.

you work in the "tuning industry" and youre asking us, did i miss the punch line?

LOL @ Matt.

However all of the avove is true, stay OEM until you have such large turbos etc the space for the box is limited

the rs4 airbox did have the extra port, but probably due to all the rs4 intake pipes having a larger diameter

just make sure the cross-section area of the rectangular snorkle is at least, or more than that of the entry to the MAF

honestly, thye did a load of testing on CGTI, dynod everything and basically airboxes uberalles unless youre creating some franken monster engine

I did say I wanted opinion.... this is a discussion forum..........

I have to admit to going to stick with a panel tbh, just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Cheers

I have an ITG foam panel filter fitted currently. Previously had an OEM paper filter.

I've had (unrelated) fuelling problems with the car so haven't managed to get it on the dyno, but I just can't see it giving any performance benefit. Does sound a lot better though - I can even get a bit of a chavvy dump noise when coming off the throttle at high boost. (I secretly quite like it!)

I have no space and am using a OEM paper panel in a modified "box".
had a cone, without a shield, with a shield. got rid of both as the intake hose was full of dust and crap when I went to swap my recirc valve.

"Panel filter" often means an aftermarket filter, designed to fit in the stock airbox. They're no better than a cone on actual filtration though.

The only way you'll filter the air properly is with a paper filter!

I have no space and am using a OEM paper panel in a modified "box".
had a cone, without a shield, with a shield. got rid of both as the intake hose was full of dust and crap when I went to swap my recirc valve.

what brand cone was it?

How far over 400bhp can you take the paper filter before any damage comes to it?