wtf did my oil go

voteforpedro

Reaction score
Oil light keeps coming on and I only changed the oil with 4.5 fresh litres about a month ago. There are no leaks and no oil in water. I checked the oil level yesterday and it was kind of low...

Knackered turbo seals causing the oil to be burnt and expelled out of the exhaust?

well, you saying you only check it once a month? Also you wont have fitted 4.5 litres in there as the capacity is a tad over 3.5 L. My best guess is you have a high ish mileage engine and its either being burnt by the engine or passing by the turbo seals in small quantities so you don't see the smoke

Our old engine used about a litre every 2000miles.

There was just enough in a 5L bottle, to do the oil change, then top the engine up for the next 5000miles and it would be on the min line when the next change happened.

Still doesnt explain the oil light though.

The oil light means the engine has no oil pressure. This is usually down to sludge and a worn oil pump.

No (or low) oil pressure will also damage the turbo over time.

If the oil light is genuine (ie it isnt just a faulty sensor or you having run out of oil), you will need to remove the sump and fit a new oil pump, as well as cleaning everything out.

It might be worth trying a diesel flush before stripping it down.

The oil light means the engine has no oil pressure. This is usually down to sludge and a worn oil pump.

No (or low) oil pressure will also damage the turbo over time.

If the oil light is genuine (ie it isnt just a faulty sensor or you having run out of oil), you will need to remove the sump and fit a new oil pump, as well as cleaning everything out.

It might be worth trying a diesel flush before stripping it down.

I did a diesel flush with the oil change last month. I will double-check oil level in an hour when I leave work. Not looking forward to removing sump, having read the other thread...

@byzan: mileage is ~138k

I remember I put a little diesel oil I had lying around while I was fast idling it with some diesel. I then drained this out and changed the oil filter. Could this be a possible cause?

Do yourself a favour and get a real pressure guage on there. Mine was 25quid on ebay and it gives you a much clearer picture of whats happening.

Theres a possibility that your diesel flush has dislodged some crap, which is now blocking the pickup pipe, so it might be worth doing another change, especially if the oil has gone black already.

only immo3, 2000model year and newer cars have level sensing, so any oil warning on an earlier car is pressure!