Problems with rear speakers

waveform2

* J e d i *
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi all,

First post, and an instant question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've got a 1998 a4 1.8 and since i gotit the rear speakers havent worked.
Got the keys for removing the head unit but im still none the wiser.
Any ideas how to troubleshoot whats wrong with them?
Looks like the previous owner had a car kit installed as theres a panasonic speaker on the passanger side of the centre console, dont know if someone has messed with the wiring or not!

Any help would be most appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Thanks

Regards

Derek

I'm assuming you don't have the Bose upgrade?
The rears are powered by their own amp, bolted to the rear left speaker. It could be the amp isn't working, or that the carkit was installed and used the "remote on" wire so that the rear amp isn't getting the "12v switch on" it needs to power up.
The rear amp uses the yellow mini ISO connector on the rear of the HU. This provides front & rear pre-outs and remote on. Depending how confident you are you could check that this hasn't been tampered with. Next would be to check at the amp, to see it is getting perm 12v and the switch on 12v, I have the pin-outs if you need them.

Thanks for the quick reply, i didnt realise there was anything in boot i'll have a lookie tonight.
And no Bose upgrade.

Cheers

Derek

That's not the original head unit.
Looks like someone has installed an older unit or something, as all the wiring has been connected via adapters. You have a black adapter taking the power and front speakers outputs from the original loom to the HU, and the big red connector (shown in the last pic), only has the rear pre-outs actually making their way to the HU. Nothing else seems to be connected. The light blue plug is the CD changer loom and the green plug is the DIS. The yellow one is the pre-outs/remote on, which is the only one connected. The connections should look like the photo below, with everything plugged straight into the HU.
Also there are no helpful labels (like the remote on one shown) on an OEM install.
The remote on should be connected to the yellow plug on the pin in the middle row that sticks out from the others. Check if this is connected and has 12v when the radio is on.

Hi Again,

This is the actual head unit, is this not the correct one?
I'm only the second owner of the car and the bloke didnt mention anything about changing the HU out and i did ask if there were any electrical problems, he just mentioned the rear speakers.
Cheers

Derek

No, that's definately an Audi Concert HU, I just don't understand why the wiring has been butchered. Maybe the previous owner had an aftermarket unit fitted and then put the OEM one back in?
You should be able to dispense with all the additional adapters. Just unplug them all and plug the Audi wiring directly into the HU. Thats the black power ISO, the brown front speaker ISO and the blue/green/yellow mini ISO, and the red CAN-BUS plug (if you have one).

Sounds good, will give that a go in the morning, same here no idea why the wiring is like that, but hopefully will work when plugged back in as it should be.

Thanks v.much for your help with this, most appreciated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Will let you know in the morning how i get on.

Cheers

Derek

[ QUOTE ]
Derek Ross said:

Next quick question, where do i find the CD-Changer lead in the boot if its actually there?
Dont want to start ripping trim off the boot in the wrong places.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Regards

Derek

[/ QUOTE ]

You should find that behind the fold down panel on the left hand side of the boot, where the "tool-kit" sits.

BTW, welcome to the forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
You should find that behind the fold down panel on the left hand side of the boot, where the "tool-kit" sits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just seem to have a hole next to the spare wheel where the jack and toolkit are, i cant see a fold down panel?

Cheers

Derek

[ QUOTE ]
Derek Ross said:
[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I just seem to have a hole next to the spare wheel where the jack and toolkit are, i cant see a fold down panel?

Cheers

Derek

[/ QUOTE ]

The panel is part of the carpet-style trim on the left hand "wall" of the boot, just behind the wheel arch. It's about a foot square, and unclips, exposing a little shelf area. The CD loom is usually found behind there. I'll take a pic of mine later, and post it up for you.

& here's one of the panel open. As you can see, the tool box is on the top shelf, & the CD changer (not an OEM by the way, but an Alpine) sits on the shelf below. The CD-changer lead should be tucked somewhere in the space behind the shelf, just behind the wheel arch.

Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Jeff facelift boots are different.

Derek if you have the cable it will be tucked behind the N/S suspension turret carpet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I sent you in the wrong direction, Derek. Hope you find the lead, OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

My pic was wrong as well, didn't know there were that many different boot interiors! - at least we pointed him in the right area...

You can use Panasonic DP9060/61 which is essentially exactly the same as the OEM Audi changer, but you will need a cable adapter that plugs into the 10 pin connector and maps the pins to the Panasonic changer. Easier really to get an Audi one on ebay (about £120).
A wide range of adapters are available from www.icd.ltd.com
£20-£40 though, so not cheap.

Hi Derek, that's the standard 13 pin plug, 3 pins are unused on all of them, so any 13 pin Audi changer will work.

Excellent cheers Andy, Should be a bit easier to get one at a half decent price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i have a audi 6 disc from my 99 a4ts if you want it
offers around 80 quid postage i would get a quote.
pm me if you do

[ QUOTE ]
audi18t said:
i have a audi 6 disc from my 99 a4ts if you want it
offers around 80 quid postage i would get a quote.
pm me if you do

[/ QUOTE ]

PM Sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif