1996 A4 1.8T Ebay bargin

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Last year I picked up a 1996 A4 FWD 1.8T in laser red, it has just over 110K on the clock and it was advertised on ebay for £499 buy it now. I had the intension of breaking the car as I wanted to strip it for the panels & other items to repair my 1996 A4.

When I collected the car it had one day left on the MOT and the clutch was just about destroyed, so made for an intresting 50 mile drive back home, before driving the car back I ran vag-com on the car which reported the temp sensor & lambda sensors as the only electronic errors, as the last thing I wanted was to be left on the side of the road with a fecked Audi. So after a couple of weeks thinking what to do with the car I decided not to strip the car but restore it.

The faults on the car were as follows
Clutch was almost non existent
Wipers only worked on full
Shocks were damaged (Due to cr@p lowering springs)
Coolant sensor was faulty
Lambda sensor was faulty
Interior was beyond grubby (Must have been used as a kids playground)
Hole in the driver’s seat
Steering wheel looked more like a sponge
ABS kicks in just before the car stops
Oil colour was jet black
Coolant was nonexistent and was just brown (rust) water
Lacquer is pealing from the bonnet
Chavy boot spoiler which cover up the centre brake light
Bulb on the instrument cluster out

So over the last 6 months the following work has been done on the car
New Bosch lambda sensor £80
New Audi Temp sensor £15
Boot lid from a scrap yard £20 in laser red
Luk clutch inc thrust bearing £90
3x oil & filter changes £40
Coolant flushed about 6-8 times and expansion tank replaced £20
Wiper stalk for scrap yard £10
Passenger side seat £25
Leather steering wheel from ebay £30
Instrument cluster bulb £1
Leather gear gaiter £18
And final god knows how many hours @ 0.01p per hour with my labour rate.

The biggest time consuming Jobs was the clutch (never replaced one before) then cleaning the interior, and finally stripping down the passenger seat which I got from the scrap yard which was in very good condition, and just used the covers & padding to rebuild the driver’s seat.

I used about 80 litres of water in the vax to clean the rear passenger seat & carpet, but they have come up clean. I’ve still got to fully PC the car but the body work (expect the bonnet) is in good condition.

The engine currently is free of faults and is running nice and smoothly, when the old clutch was removed the flywheel was found to be in very good condition, so did not need replacing as a new one would have push the cost of this car way over the budget I put aside to fix it up.

The car went in for an Mot last week, and passed to my amazement with the following advisories
Nearside Front anti-roll bar has slight play on ball joint [2.4.G.3]
Front Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated [7.1.1a]
All brake discs slightly pitted

The front part of the exhaust does need to be replace so on the lookout for a replacement unit, the brake discs have now cleaned up very well as the car had been sitting for 6 months and only drove about 6 miles to the MOT garage so still had a fair bit of surface rust.

I’ll get some pictures of the car up tomorrow, but I am interested on how much the car is worth I was hoping to get just over the £1000 mark, once my other car has been restored (6-8 moths time). Once sold I will be on the lookout for an S2 Coupe:search:

I'll put some pictures tomorrow.

I have a downpipe here from an AJL (1.8T quattro) Its a bit shorter than the AEB one, but i'm sure that with another sleeve clamp you could cut your existing pipe off just after the flexi and join it into the AJL pipe...

drop me a PM if your interested!

that sounds good, is the pipe the same size?

Will send you a PM.

interesting.. look forward to come pics well done on the MOT

Cheers, have to say a big thanks to Geeman, as without his bargain shocks & springs there is not a chance in hell the car would have passed:icon_thumright:

LOL - You can't accredit the MOT pass to just me! You've worked your *** off to get it sorted! Well done!

S2 Coupe... good choice. I've had a '96 2.0E and a '96 2.6E coupe in my time... both awesome vehicles.

S2 was what I really wanted, but I was a lot younger and insurance was a lot higher back then!

Last edited:
I've also had a 2.6E, got it off a mate as he was going away for a year traveling, however he ended up running out of cash and came back a few months early so did another deal to buy the car back off me. From looking around there are not many S2 kicking around at the moment, I hope that changes around the end of the year.

How did the clutch change go, did you hit any major snags , any good pointers you can share (links to a good guide)...

Well as show in the picture we had a ramp to lift the car which made the job a dam sight easier. I don't think I would have been able to do the job if it was on axle stands.

Getting to some of the bolts was a right PITA, and it took me about 2 days to do the hole job. The only mistake I made was not fitting the slave cylinder before putting the gearbox back in. As know matter how hard you push on the thing it would not go in, so ended up removing th gear box again and fitting the slave cylinder. Another thing I found is by yourself some allen keys which you won't mind cutting down.

A few pictures below to show the car on the ramp, and the support I made to help remove the gear box.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Personally if i was doing the clutch without a ramp, i'd pull the engine.

At least that way your working above the car, with a crane, rather than humfing around underneath.