Fuelling Problem?

mtsakmakis

Reaction score
Hi there peoples. I am new to this site and also to forums, so please take it easy on me! Im from Melbourne, Australia, and wish that we had the same access to aftermarket performance accessories as some of you European and American guys.
Here's the deal...

I own a '96 A4 TQ with various "small" mods which are the following:
Custom installed 'Hybrid' T-03 / 28 Turbo (I know this is going to sound wierd, but the T-03 part of the turbo is the exhaust, and the T-28 side is the Compressor - I got the turbz really cheap)
Redirected intake piping (re: Cold Air)
Full 3" Mandrel Bent exhaust system with 3" hi-flow cat
Oil Vent Redirection into Oil Catch Reservoir (hence emissions = 0 !)

Now I have a slight problem when starting the car. I've read on previous posts that people have been having problems when starting their cars and the idle becomes lumpy. A few recommendations have been to change the coolant / water temperature sensor which I have done, and the thing still idles like its a 1200HP v8. There is a constant sucking noise from the fuel filler cap (which has also been replaced seeing as I thought the seal was damaged) and I have no idea why it is doing all of this.
When driving the car, its a different story. Power delivery is awesome, and even though fuel economy sucks, I'm in the process of sourcing an aftermarket, fully programmable ECU to piggy back the standard (hence future extreme mods). At the moment though, as money is hard to come by for these things, I need to be able to get this thing running as best as possible and that means sorting out these niggling problems. If anyone has an idea as to why its happening or how Im able to fix these bugs, I would greatly appreciate their input. I dont have access to the VAG-COM (AU$700 - 'nuff said) and know of only one place here in Melbourne which has actually got one (but will charge AU$350 for the privilege of connecting and resetting). Please help!

In the next couple of days I'm going to try and capture some sound for you guys to actually hear what the thing is doing, and also take a few happy snaps of the turbo install. (Let me just say that if you wanted to do a turbo upgrade, go with the t-28 or equivalent - immense power gains!!)

Thanks

ZeroK66

You may have a vacuum leak somewhere in your intake system after the throttle body causing the odd idle. Best thing really is to get it hooked up to a VAG system and check all the engine codes etc.

Seeing as you have changed the coolant sensor, not sure what to suggest. Is the car the same hot and cold?

PS: Sounds like you have quite a nice lil toy there!

Ive checked all vacuum lines and no leaks. After the turbo install, the only vacuum lines which I disconnected was one for the 'dv' and another which is somehow connected to the charcoal cannister (for emissions). I have plugged these and havent found anything else which may cause a leak. Oh, and btw, the car was running like it does now before the turbo upgrade. The thing I'm more worried about at the moment is the constant hissing / sucking sound coming from the fuel filler. Anyone know what might be causing this? As I have already stated, the fuel cap has been replaced and it still does the same thing....

13:39 1/4 Mile @ 126 MPH (just with boost and turbo upgrade. Next comes FMIC, ECU, etc. etc - hoping to crack into the 11's)