Burn all Haynes Manuals

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
Began work on the front n/s hub bearing at about midday today, within 5 minutes I realised I don't have a 14mm hex drive (needed for driveshaft bolts).

Stopped work, went to Colchester to obtain said hex drive, returned home. 20 minutes later, needed an 18mm spanner (weird size) . Do I have one? Do I bolox. Managed to blag one within the family and carry on with work.

Why can't the Haynes manual preface each job with a "you will need" list with bolt sizes etc?

Also, when it says "separate the ball joint, being careful not to use pressure against the ball joint rubber" why not actually give a few tips, rather than just what not to do?

Anyway. The hub carrier is now off and half the old bearing is out, it's now far too cold to do owt in the garage. I guess I'm just sore about having to drive the spare car to work tomorrow....

Not even Elsawin states the socket sizes, it's a PITA and would love to know why the Audi manuals don't give this information, you would think it would help the mechanics. I feel your pain, I just did the clutch and to remove the gear box with the engine in situ uses all sorts of spanners, sockets, allen keys etc etc.

One thing I have noticed more and more is they have lifted some of the text & images straight off elsawin

Really? Doesn't suprise me. Also, when the manual suddenly says "to do this, refer to section 10.4" in which you have toremove the sodding axle or something daft.

I'd love to get to the point where I only need the manual to point me in vaguely the right direction...

. Do I have one? Do I bolox.

This cracked me up, i'm the same when i alway's need something. I get to the point and think how many more tool's do i need to get me out of this sh*t

did exactly the same thisng a few weeks ago. bought a socketed allen key ready for the job. i bought a 12mm didnt i not a 14mm. 20min drive sorted that to find the bolt was solid and chewed the hex so i had to drill it out anyway.

haynes is pap. the only thing there good for is torque settings.

try www.audidiy.com the write ups are good.

Victory is mine! Old bearing out new bearing in (A big shout to Gav at work with his hydraulic pressmanship) and three hours of clattering around with hammers and torque wrenches and the car is back together again.

For anyone about to do a hub bearing, ******* jobs are:-
Unbolting the lower transverse arms from the hub carrier (Need 18mm spanner, no space for a socket)
Routing the ABS Cable back through the hub carrier and out to the firewall (Take a photo before you dismantle it, like I should have)
And, if you're working in a confined space, maneuovering the hub carrier back onto the five ball joints is an arseache and requires two geezers and several cans of lager.

Anyway, all done, car drives fine, no rumbling groaning sensation any more and a hyuje saving over proffessional labour costs to go towards suspension / remap / facelifts (one day...)

18mm haha

my friend was stuffed this weekend whilst changing the suspension on a golf. everything on the golf is 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm but two of the suspension bolts are 18mm and he didnt have that :D

Exactly. What a perverse size to use. The home workshop is pretty comprehensive, but after scouring the place the only 18 we could find was an old open ended Yamaha spanner from Dads' two-stroke years!

i dont have an 18mm spanner. when i get tool sets i always to get set which include all sizes within the range, but somehow i ended up with a clarke spanner set without an 18mm spanner

i do have an adjustable pipe spanner tho that takes care of most eventualities

theres not a specific one for the V6 but it includes it in the haynes manual

theres not a specific one for the V6 but it includes it in the haynes manual

The Haynes manual I have, and I have phoned them and asked if it is the sole B5 one they have, which it is, DOES NOT COVER THE V6 ENGINE.......................I have one, and there are no V6 repair guides/service etc...

The haynes doesnt cover V6s, Quattro, or autos iirc, which made it ****** useless on my car!

And yup, check you have a decent 6 sided socket and spanners in 17 and 18mm before doing your wishbones! a good ally drift / copper hammer (pinch bolt), some good haxsaw blades (some cant be extracted without taking half the car appart - so best cut and put back in the other way around) and a hell of a lot of luck (again, pinch bolt).

I looked at one in Halfrauds and when I read what it didn't cover it appeared I already knew more than they did!

had one I used religiously when I rebuilt a Mk2 Golf.
Agree with the advice things...nice to know bits would be useful.
Like...."make sure you put the cam caps on the same way round that they came off, they crack if you don't!"

actually I managed to get the cap welded and it was almost spot on, quick polish inside and it was golden.
still running today

yikes that was lucky!

Mate of mine had a worked head (think it was a honda vtec item) in his workshop, spikey cams installed and ready to fit to their motor. They had a break in, and amongst other things the twats whipped the caps off and stole the camshafts AND the caps. Unfortunately that meant not only was the camshafts a loss, but the cylinder head was effectively scrap too, becuase the caps are line bored at manufacture, meaning only the original caps will match the head.

I used Haynes manuals when I was younger... Mk2 Golf's, XR2's, etc. but now it's all about the internet and the VERY helpful forums!

I have an 18mm spanner... Bought it from Halfrauds specifically for something. Probably something to do with my old Golf.

I have 2 x 18mm sockets, 2 x 18 spanners and the same in 16mm over and above the "normal" sizes. Pretty much take apart any Audi now, LMAO

Did i learn the hard way......

Maybe :asskicking:

I have 2 x 18mm sockets, 2 x 18 spanners and the same in 16mm over and above the "normal" sizes. Pretty much take apart any Audi now, LMAO

Did i learn the hard way......

Maybe :asskicking:
I can say with some degree of certainty that you've actually got 1 x 16mm spanner mate. :detective2:

One's on holiday in our shed following my finding it during the tidy-up last night :lmfao: (And now it's posted here, the 'safe-place' can't be forgotten! :thumbsup:)

//R

I have an 18.7mm open ended spanner now, after bashing the living shiz out of it during the bearing change...

tbh, If Haynes manuals had handy tips on every awkward process, they would be twice the size they are now, and twice the cost. That is all stuff you pick up with working on cars overtime I am afraid. As for tool sizes etc, I agree it would be useful, but very hard to do as the size / type of fixings used can change year to year, and with some manufactors, from car to car! They sometimes don't cover certain engines or transmissions as there is not the demand, in their eyes, to do so and still make a profit.

Treat them as reference manuals rather than how to guides and they are very useful.

tbh, If Haynes manuals had handy tips on every awkward process, they would be twice the size they are now, and twice the cost.

Here I am, cash waiting, for the first person who compiles such a manual. I'm no master mechanic, but I'm damn good at following instructions.

The Haynes manual I have, and I have phoned them and asked if it is the sole B5 one they have, which it is, DOES NOT COVER THE V6 ENGINE.......................I have one, and there are no V6 repair guides/service etc...

wots this then?
Photo0108.jpg

HAPPY MATE!!!

The haynes doesnt cover V6s, Quattro, or autos iirc, which made it ****** useless on my car!

And yup, check you have a decent 6 sided socket and spanners in 17 and 18mm before doing your wishbones! a good ally drift / copper hammer (pinch bolt), some good haxsaw blades (some cant be extracted without taking half the car appart - so best cut and put back in the other way around) and a hell of a lot of luck (again, pinch bolt).

covers the 1.8T and V6 engines
Photo0108.jpg

Thats an old US one I think, they don't make that one any more it's the newer blue one for us that only does A4 1.6's to 1.9 TDis, not quattro at all.

100_5540.jpg

100_5541.jpg

yea i got both mate, no they dont do the quattro for some reason. wish they ****** had one for the S4 lol

your right about it being a US version aswel, i remember my old man getting it from over there, think its a newer version though as it covers up to 2001 models.

Last edited: