It lives...!

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
At last, I have got to the bottom of my running/stalling problem.

With the continued and very much appreciated help from Aragorn, Mark and others I have managed to source the MAF problem, sort the N80 valve fault and it's now running sweet, with no stalling or poor idle.

So... there's no more "Oh God, Giles is asking another stupid question again" to be afraid of anymore!

I'd just like to thank the guys who have given me fantastic advice and support over a LONG period of time to get my A4 working. I am well chuffed and am VERY VERY happy!

Thanks again chaps. You know who you are (all the usual suspects Mark, Lee, Docurly - and particularly Aragorn who's always been there with excellent info on wiring, etc!)... BIG KISSES! :icon_thumright:

The main wiring loom that goes behind the cylinder head had been rubbing, and the violet wire from the N80 valve had been damaged and had split... so no feed to the ECU from that. Soldered back together again and no fault code from that any more.

I actually disconnected the MAF and took it down the road... and it ran fine! I must have been 'without MAF' for well over 6 months! Get this though... the wires from the MAF connecter had been connected incorrectly. Pins 2 & 4 were the wrong way round. Must have been my fault when I re-wired it... but it had been in the garage for 2 days last week to remedy the problem (as you know I've changed everything I could and just about given up on it) and he wired my new MAF plug in, so he must have just copied my mistake! I was finding it difficult that those two pins weren't giving me any continuity to the ECU pins... so triple checked them and found the mistake.

Swapped them round, cleared the codes and it idled fine. Took it out for a test and it started popping and dying again.

Managed to get it back home, and with my continued investigation with the circuit tester I think I had made the connecters in the MAF plug a little wide... so they were losing connection with the MAF! Tightened them all back closed again and it seems to be okay now.

So... fingers crossed that I've fixed it. Looking forward to getting a few more MPG and the car not stinking of CAT and fuel now!

So... with my new found wiring skills... the cruise control will be a breeze! lol

And one last thing to do... the ABS sensor left-rear is throwing up a code fault. That must be causing the ABS to activate just before I come to a standstill.

The list is getting shorter... AND I've now got a dent-free bonnet! The A4's looking like it's going to enjoy this summer! It's had it's fair share of ups and downs...