Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    staylowmovefast

Status

Spark Plug life....

Hello fellas. How often would you guys reccomend changing the spark plugs? I did mine 10k ago. Also what does everyone tend you use?

Oliver.....
    !!BINGO BONGO!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I got genuine ones and expect them to last a long time and they weren't that expensive. The same NGK plug aftermarket wasn't any cheaper I don't think. This is on a 1.8T though.

Look on ETKA and see if the original are NGK, Bosch etc as it will tell you the make and code on there.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I think the iridiums are around 30k, but I personaly use copper plugs and change them avery oil change due to the low cost compared to the 35 cost of the iridiums

6th Gear

Status
    There was a guy in the states who changed spark plugs on a customer's a3 after 110k miles. They were the original 11 years old parts and when he tried to get the same part number from dealer, they told him that them spark plugs are now obsolete and offered him better ones ! Wonder why they were obsolete, maybe because they last longer ? In easter Europe, me dad used to change spark plugs every 5-10 years and ONLY if the car was hard to start in the winter at -20-30 Celsius !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

staylowmovefast

Status
    Fair one fellas. When I changed mine 10k ago I knew bugger all about these cars, so took the autofactors advice and used NGK BKR6EKUB-3584. Were these the right ones?
    !!BINGO BONGO!!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I use BKR6EK's in the 1.8T

NGK recommend silly platinum plugs (PFR6Q) but the BKR6EK is the copper equivalent.

The UB plugs have a much shorter tip than the 6EK's and i've no idea if your car should have the shorter ones or not.

The last set of plugs i put in, i fitted at 155k and they were still in there when i changed the engine at 195k. 40k from copper plugs is a pretty long time, and they were quite past their best, but it still ran fine, even remapped.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

staylowmovefast

Status
    Thanks Mate. I will leave whats in there alone for another 20k or so. Ta!
    !!BINGO BONGO!!