Help weird noise coming from engine.

bad-vw-boy

Reaction score
Typical , just my luck have a car for one week and already its causing me problems, todays dilema is a weird noise coming from the engine, now i cant see that it has caused any loss of power and its very hard to describe, but feels and sounds like it is coming from the bottom back part of the engine, but only a guess as thats where it seems when you drive along, the sound as best discribed is similar to the noise an item makes when slidding arouns in the boot , it seems to occur when you are accelerating, and it will do it when reving the engine in idle...any ideas....please please...done let this be an expensive faliure....:crying:

dear oh dear. need a bit more help with your description. is it like a bag of shopping in the boot, a sack of spuds, a body...

or is it metalic, a tapping, what does it vary with..

if its on acceleration only, it could be anything from a dead turbo to dead engine mounts blah blah blah

If your very lucky it could be just the box mounts. One of mine went and it sounded like a bag of ball bearings were shaking around under the bonet!!

My gut is telling me it's the turbo anyone know somone in the Guildford Surrey area that knows there stuff who can look at it and won't charge the earth

Sounds like the turbo spinning up...? I wouldn't worry about it - it's supposed to do that! lol

Mine sounds like it's coming from the firewall sometimes... more often when it's cold. There are others with similar stories.

Unless it's smoking / rattling - I'd not worry too much about it. You running standard airbox, or a cone filter?

Sounds like the turbo spinning up...? I wouldn't worry about it - it's supposed to do that! lol

Mine sounds like it's coming from the firewall sometimes... more often when it's cold. There are others with similar stories.

Unless it's smoking / rattling - I'd not worry too much about it. You running standard airbox, or a cone filter?

Running std air box....i just cannt afford for things to start going wrong it will break my heart....one thing i did notice is that from stand still if you give it the beans it seems a bit jerky in acceleration ...almost like its struggaling for traction..but the traction control light did not come on?? ....sorry questions , questions.....as you will get to know me i am a bit of a fanatic and if things start making odd noises i start to worry......this is mt first audi and my first quattro...i am a vw boy at heart...but its all vag and i have always wanted an s4 i just hooe i made the right choice.....:thumbsup:

is it worth getting the guys at AMD woking to give it the quick once over??

If you can hear it at idle then it's very unlikely to be the turbos, and I don't think it would sound like something sliding across the boot.

The traction-like issue sounds like it could be due to a boost leak or a dodgy MAF, as either would give surges in power delivery. Neither would contirbute to the sort of sound you are describing though. Saying that, it's not like these cars only ever go wrong one fault at a time.

Get it to AMD. It will probably cost you £40-50 for them to give it a good going over, just make sure that you get a pressure test as part of their 'healthcheck'. Even if it doesn't uncover any issues it will at least give you piece of mind that there is nothing majorly wrong with the car... and if it does... at least you'll know.

Try and record a clip of the noise on your phone and post it up?

Alternatively, get someone to rev the engine, while you have your head under the bonnet attempting to pinpoint the noise

Sounds are difficult to diagnose without actually hearing it first hand.

i have booked in the S4 with AMD on Tue as they are only round the corner fingers crossed nothing bad.....i will keep you posted..:salute:

Last edited:
keep us posted. is it going to amd thurrock?

like the time my brakes were feeling a bit wooden. body under the car and bodily fluids all over the brakes. molars stuck in the callipers.

groaning noise from the steering. old fella had been stuck under there for two weeks

always check for bodies