bose or not??

bad-vw-boy

Reaction score
How can i tell if my head unit is fully amped or part amped without removing the headunit, and also is the headunit fairly easy to remove??

Yes very easy to remove you just need 2 vw/Audi removal keys on a concert unit and 4 on a symphony unit. You can get the keys from ebay. You would know if you had Bose as the speaker grills have the Bose logo, and there will be a Bose amp in the boot. The Audi head unit is capable of driving front & rear speakers, but you may find the head unit is only driving the front speakers with a small amp in the boot driving the rears.

Is there any great advantage in the rear speakers being powered by the silly little rear parcel shelf amp?

Sounds like there might be a net benefit on letting the h/u power both sets of speakers?

No Audi HU's can drive the rear speakers, they only have an internal amp for the fronts. Non Bose have the puny rear amp and Bose have all the speakers amped. You can only drive the rear speakers directly with an aftermarket HU.

Some of the older Audi HU drive the rear speakers, I have on in my A4, it's the Delta CC unit.

Last edited:
No Audi HU's can drive the rear speakers, they only have an internal amp for the fronts.

That's what I thought before I read the below post. I have the (doesn't sound anything like you're at a) Concert system.

Well a few very early 96 models, but 97 on all have a rear amp if you're gonna be pedantic

Well I got the head unit out and found that in the back is one large and one slightly smaller red plug some sort of spade connector and the radio does this mean it's fully amped ?

Any chance of a picture of all the ISO connectors.

You will have a brown speaker ISO connector on the non Bose system, this usually has only the middle 4 pins wired for the fronts. If you have no such connector and no connector plugged into the socket above the black power ISO then you have the Bose system which is fully amped and takes the feed to the amp from the long thin 20 pin mini ISO plug at the top of the connector stack.