ABS Light

colinurquhart

Reaction score
Hi guys, just changed the rear discs and pads on my '97 1.8 avant everything went ok, lost some brake fluid from the bleed nipple when pushing the piston back but thats normal. Straight away my ABS light came on so I just assumed it was because of low fluid. The following day changed my front pads and topped up my brake fluid from the loss of the front and rears getting down. I haven't bled them yet but my brakes feel amazing, the best they've been since I've had the car yet my ABS light is still on, any ideas? Thanks

You may have damaged your rear ABS sensor. They're very brittle and delicate when they get on a bit. Could you have disturbed one or the other when changing your brakes over?

It might also be worth checking on VAGCOM for location specifics if you can!

When you changed the discs on the rear did you get discs with the ABS rings fitted or did you swap them drom the old discs?

I don't remeber seeing any ABS sensors on the back thats whats confused me, I don't think I even saw any wires?

the sensor just looks like a silver mound sticking out of the backplate.

Its the reluctors that are probably the issue. They are pressed onto the rear of the rear brake disk, and often dont come with new disks, so unless you transferred the reluctor over, they'll be missing.

We had ours like that for a few weeks. ABS would only come on after you started moving though if its that.

No I didn't transfer anything over or even notice anything. Will my ABS still work ok and whats the best solution to fix it, thanks

losing brake fluid doing a pad change isnt normal, did you open bleed nipple? you should just open reservoir to release pressure when you rewind caliper then you should have too much fluid when your done

did you bin old discs, if so you'll have to buy new abs rings and fit them

The ABS will have disabled itself if the warning is on the dash.

Can you confirm that the warning only appears after you start moving?

If it comes up as soon as you start the car its not the reluctor. If it comes up after you start moving, then it most likely is the reluctor. It sits round the inside of the "hub" section, where you fit the inner bearing.