Merc wheels onto A4?

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps.

An opportunity might have just presented itself.

Anybody know if '93-99 Merc C-Class wheels will go onto an A4?

No idea about the offset. I know the centre bore is bigger than on the Audis, so technically the Merc wheels will go on an Audi, but not vice versa.

Just need to know the offset. They're 17"s.

Thanks for your help so far, Mark

I'm guessing 7.5j front and 8j rear. They're Currently wearing 225/45 front and 245/40 rear.

Spacer time?

PCD is the same, the bore is 70 something mm against the 51 oddmm for the audi, so you will need bespoke spigot rings. I also think you will need to narrow the rear tyres, 245's will prob catch. Although with you being 2wd there is more space in the arch......hmmmmmm !

Aw. Sounds like it might end up being too much effort. Blast.

Just had a scrappage C230k come in on 17" AMGs. I think I might just sneak them away anyway...

I heard some Merc wheels (dependent on age) have narrower holes and will need boring out slightly. Also you will need longer bolts our OEM ones are too short.

Yeah, theres a list of pros' and cons.

Pros:-
Might look "wicked" and "the nuts" when fitted.
They're free.
I was looking at having to spend money on wheel refurbs anyway.
Cons:-
I will need spigots to fit them to the Audi hubs
I will need spacers no doubt to fit them
I will need to find some compatible Audi centre caps, less of this "mercedes" nonsense.
Oh, and longer wheel bolts.

Mind you, all these bits are ebayable, I'm sure

I'll still probably end up nicking them and then try and work out what i'll do with them.

Last edited:
Cheers, I had looked on eBay and seen some likely candidates, fortunately they cost the better part of naff all. I'm guessing the Mercs are an offset somewhere around the 35mm mark. I'll probably need spacers somewhere between 7 and 10mm (my current rims are ET43)

I think I'll grab them, get them home and figure out whether to go ahead or not.

All I need is to find four scrap Merc spare wheels to do the swap....

God, I love free stuff!

Yeah they will fit straight on no probs. You will just need some spigot rings. Cost you very little. The wheels will look awesome. I'm assuming your thinking of the 18" AMG monoblocks with a dish on them? I had some on mine for a few days before my mate mike collared them for his s class. (I made a few bob!). There are some pics on here.............Wait one....

ET35 plus 10mm spacers makes ET25...

If they're ET35 they might just slot streight on though, most aftermarket wheels for the A4 end up around et35-38

Hmm. Awesome, but I'm afraid mine aren't quite as cool as that... Nowhere near, in fact.

I can't believe I'm about to upload this image.... At work, the most advanced piece of image manipulation software we have is Microsoft Paint. Yes.

Through the wonders of pixelated bitmap technology, I give you this image (it helps if you squint a bit). (a lot)
07052009554-1.jpg

I'm confident that, if I fit them, they'll look quite a lot less splodgy than that. Whatd'ya reckon?

Great or gash?

Once I've got them off the scrappage car, got them home and sorted out my front nearside hub bearing... Expect some slightly better photos on this thread soon.

And then I'll remove them again If I decide it looks ridiculous.

Defo go for it mate
4855613870a11500297282l.jpg

not uk but it's in the b5 pics thread

Must be an NI car. I knew there would be one on there somewhere, but my boss gets vexed if I spend all day looking at B5 image boards! I assume those ones are 18's.

Look awesome.

It's incredible. All the guys at work are rallying round to help me get the rims off the Merc! It helps that I've told the guy in the parts department that he can have the RS4s for his Golf when I no longer need them... and they were free in the first place!

I take it all back. I love the scrappage scheme after all.

So part one dealt with. The two front AMG wheels are off, replaced by a spare A4 steel (doesn't fit properly, held on solely by tension from the extra-long MB Bolts) and a spare MB steel from an old E-class (which again doesn't fit properly, the baloon-section olde tyre fouls the suspension arms). So the scrappage car (an immaculate '98 C230Kompressor Sport with 69k on the clock) can't be driven any further than the back of a car transporter.

The two rears are next, we've found a pair of brand new ex-display MB alloys which have to be scrapped, we'll bung a couple of scrap tyres on and the C230 will be consigned to oblivion with four non-matching wheels. Fun times.

So:- Jobs to do (After renewing hub bearing, my task for Sunday)
Obtain Spigots from the 'bay
Obtain longer wheel bolts from the 'bay
Use immense machining skill to bore out the mounting holes a little for proper, manly Audi bolts.

I had totally ballsed up my concept of offsets and got it all the wrong way round. I'm guessing that 37mm offset will be less close to my suspension metally-bits than my exsisting ET42s. This should mean that the front wheels will appear 5mm wider in the arches.

The rears will be interesting, the combination of 5mm less offset and half an inch extra width should give me a real wheelarch full o' rubber. Again, I'm guessing I won't have any fouling problems with rear suspension, my exsisting ET42s are wearing 235 rubber and there's plenty of clearance.

Watch this space. Thanks for all your help so far.

So part one dealt with. The two front AMG wheels are off, replaced by a spare A4 steel (doesn't fit properly, held on solely by tension from the extra-long MB Bolts) and a spare MB steel from an old E-class (which again doesn't fit properly, the baloon-section olde tyre fouls the suspension arms). So the scrappage car (an immaculate '98 C230Kompressor Sport with 69k on the clock) can't be driven any further than the back of a car transporter.

The two rears are next, we've found a pair of brand new ex-display MB alloys which have to be scrapped, we'll bung a couple of scrap tyres on and the C230 will be consigned to oblivion with four non-matching wheels. Fun times.

So:- Jobs to do (After renewing hub bearing, my task for Sunday)
Obtain Spigots from the 'bay
Obtain longer wheel bolts from the 'bay
Use immense machining skill to bore out the mounting holes a little for proper, manly Audi bolts.

I had totally ballsed up my concept of offsets and got it all the wrong way round. I'm guessing that 37mm offset will be less close to my suspension metally-bits than my exsisting ET42s. This should mean that the front wheels will appear 5mm wider in the arches.

The rears will be interesting, the combination of 5mm less offset and half an inch extra width should give me a real wheelarch full o' rubber. Again, I'm guessing I won't have any fouling problems with rear suspension, my exsisting ET42s are wearing 235 rubber and there's plenty of clearance.

Watch this space. Thanks for all your help so far.

Yes.The lower the offset, the more they will stick out/fill the arches. I'm now running 35mm front and 25mm rears. Bit cheeky on the rear, but its not too bad!

Audinary i bet yoUr mind is made up now.......... STUNNING...
Abso-flippin'-lutely. Although I am under no illusion that mine will look quite that awesome, I'm on standard sport suspenders for that quasi-off roader look...

Last edited:
When I had mine on I was running ET 30 front and rear. Really filled up the arches. Looked fantastic.

Rear wheels now secured also. Sitting in the workshop until I have spigots and bolts.

Next step is to take some brave pills and get ready to re-bore the holes. I intend to fabricate some sort of collar I can pass the drill through, to ensure that the drill passes through cleanly and aligned with the current holes. Fortunately, the holes start off at about 23mm, later narrowing for the bolts. This gives me a decent guide to use when re-boring.

They will very soon either be perfect or scrap.

Do the mercs run smaller bolts?

Surely the guys in the workshop have a pillar drill you can use? i wouldnt want to drill it by hand, you'll just make a mess of them :p

Yeah, MB bolts (of that age) are a bit narrower, no doubt relying on the slightly fatter hub/mounting surface.

There is a pillar drill here, but I actually think that the way I describe below will do as good a job. I'll probably use the pillar first, see which method is the most confidence inspiring.

So, tonight I will embark on the operation to start drilling enlarged mounting holes in the AMG wheels to accept Audi bolts.

And of course, so as to avoid ballsing up the entire operation, I have a plan, brought to you here by advanced Microsoft Paint graphics.

Template.jpg

To explain the diagram, I am using a hardwood block onto which will have been accurately mapped the exact position of three of the exsisting mounting holes. The two outside holes will function to securely lock the block onto the wheel mounting surface, the middle hole will be sheathed with a copper tube of the right diameter, through which can pass the drill bit for the new Audi-friendly bore. After the first hole is drilled, I can then move the block around to drill each successive hole.

The thickness of the block should be enough to give enough stability to the drill (which will be held by me by hand) and prevent it swaying and giving innacuarate holes.

The prototyping and first holes begin after work tonight.

thinking about it, as long as the taper seat is intact, even if the holes are a bit squint it doesnt matter, because the spigot holds the rim central and the bolts seat onto the taper, not the hole.

I'd make sure you have the correct bolts though, radius bolts on a taper seat isnt a good combination.

Pic of radius bolt v's taper bolt...? Just to make sure he's got the right kit!

faq10.jpg

Cheers mate, I'll drill the holes and then wait till I have the bolts prior to machining according to tapered, ball or flat.

And your graphics are better than mine. Wah.