Merc wheels onto A4?

It was a stolen image from Google... I can't take credit!

Do they? ****** me... I could have sworn all of mine are tapered. I'm going to have to check tonight now! lol

Interestingly, both are radiused, about the same radius too, it turns out, and they both obviously have 17mm heads and similarly sized collars.
C1MDM1752.jpg

The pic shows the orig. Merc bolt on the left, the Bolts from the car I got the RS4s from and the Bolts from my car (on the right, the niceset looking)

I need radiused bolts with the length of the Merc ones but the diameter of the Audi ones. I Have no idea why the bolt in the middle (of a scrappage '96 A4 2.6) should be tapered!

Good news that they are both radiused, though. Less machining required.

Edit:- It turns out the bolts the RS4s are currently attached to my car with are wrong! I need to swap for the taperd bolts currently on the 2.6! Probably not an emergency....

Last edited:
The replica RS4's will probably have the taper seat, because they arent genuine and taper is a bit more common.

The genuine Audi wheels you had before were probably using the radius bolts.

Snag:- Off to Machine Mart tomorrow to pick up a big drill bit which I can actually use with my drills.... (13mm chuck max)

For those of you following this exciting thread, the Spigots and Bolts have arrived. Just need to finish with this flipping hub bearing and they're ON!

An anonymous benefactor has gifted me the latest addition to the Audi Of Many Brands... a set of Brabus locking wheel bolts. Should be good for 10% across the rev range.
C1MDM1759.jpg

Here the are along with my glorious red anodised spigots and shiny new wheelbolts.

here my setup from a few weeks ago,
2epsg1f.jpg

front one has been refurb since that photo and shes a little lower now

Naaaaah, no poke from me. It's all about the tuck! :laugh:

It is too high though... you can still plainly see tread on the tyre in the arch... :whistle2:

Saves a lot of wear and tear on the suspension when your car physically rests on the road surface...

ROFL aye!

Might be better rolling it onto its side though? or even the roof? That way theres no weight on the wheels to deform the rubber either!

They're on!

At 5 minutes past Simpsons tonight my Father and I went into the garage to embark on what could have been a fateful mission. I had in my possession a set of four AMG Mercedes wheels, of course set up for W202 fitment (10mm bolts). So, to get them on the A4 I would need to widen the holes, sticking to the 5x112 PCD and as accurately as possible.

And we did it. Perfectly.

I had played with various ways of getting the accuracy I needed, but we ended up using a modified table-top pillar drill, with the base plate turned upside down to sit flat on the wheel mounting surface. We would then manouever the bit until it was centred on the exsisting holes, gradually increasing the bit size.

09032010287.jpg

This was the apparatus we used. I measured the original holes to be around 13mm (which seemed wide for a 10mm bolt) so, working with that sort of tolerance I figured we'd go with a 15mm hole, so we started the drilling with a 14mm bit.

Fortunately, assuming we lined up properly the bit pretty much auto-centred on the original hole as soon as it made contact with the the metal. After the first 5 holes were drilled, inspection of the prototype wheel (I chose the tattiest one for this) revealed our drilling to be absolutely bang on. Looking at the holes from the front, they are dead smack in the middle of the radiused parts of the original holes. I was chuffed.

Similarly chuffworthy was the fact that the new wheel bolts were a perfect fit in the new holes, so we didn't need to go up to 15mm. A test fit of the first wheel onto the car showed that the holes lined up perfectly with the hub, the bolts went straight in with no interference. And the same went for the next 3 wheels, and the next 15 holes.

Test drive revealed a bit of tyre noise (this should reduce after a bit of inflation) most noticable on deceleration. But nothing to fret about.

Pics coming when car is clean. I love suspense!

Lol you do love keeping us waiting!!!

The tyre noise might just be down to the brands of tyre fitted, different tyres/tread patterns will make varying levels of noise.

The Merc bolts will have been M12 not M10, and you've gone up to M14. The less metal removed the better though, perhaps running a 9/16th drill thru the hole just to clearance it out a little bit might help if your finding the bolts a little snug.

Yeah, you're right, they were M12 (user error) but the M14 Audi bolts aren't too snug. I greased the new bores with LM just for a little protection.

First proper drive on them today, loads of tyre noise from the front but I'm putting that down to the Sunny (Who?!!!!1!1!1eleven) brand tyres. Rears are Kumhos. Loads of tread, fortunate 'cos I'm really not looking forward to buying the next pair...

And I believe them to be chuffworthy indeed. But, Gee, My good man, it does need lowering.... I'm not planning to slam it on the deck, though, I have my back to worry about.

Last edited:
So, pics then.

C1MDM1783.jpg

C1MDM1784.jpg

C1MDM1785.jpg

C1MDM1787.jpg

I love them, really suits the age of the car, celebrating all that was hip with the late '90s.

It could do with a little bit of lowering, maybe 20mm or so, but I quite like the stance. Looks quite tough from the rear 3/4. Shame it's FWD...

Wheels and tyres:- £0.
Mounting spigots:- £19.99 + £4 p+p
Wheel bolts:- £19.99 + £4 p+p
Drilling wheels to accept Audi bolts:- £0

Total project cost:- £47.98.

Most distinctive car at work:- £Priceless.

Its certainly different!

I think its a wheel that needs the car to be low to work well, but ye 20mm off the ride height would probably make all the difference, along with some facelift lights.

For some reason it looks like theres a lot of rake? are the rear tyres larger diameter than the fronts or something?

For some reason it looks like theres a lot of rake? are the rear tyres larger diameter than the fronts or something?

There might be a few mm in it, but nothing drastic. Fronts 225/45/17, rears 245/40/17. Different is good!

slam it! lol

you nutta drilling wheels!! well done tho nice write up too! :respekt:

Cheers guys, lowerage will occur in due course.

My concerns about tyre noise seem well founded, according to teh internets public opinion is that "Sunny" tyres are the noisiest rubber in the entire world, and can be recognised by their humming, turbine like sound. Shat, in other words.