AH FabricationsVolks Autos

Thread: Hi rev stutter

1st Gear

Status

Hi rev stutter

Took the car for a good run over the weekend, very impressed with it.

Handling could be better (last car was a 1.8 Focus, couldn't fault it through the twisties) but I'll get used to it.

The cars a 95 1.6 b5 and one thing I noticed was a slight stutter in the upper rev range when accelerating hard, nothing drastic just a couple of blips in what is smooth reasonably quick acceleration

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I'm not really sure you can call the accelleration afforded by a 1.6 engine "reasonably quick"

On the handling, if you havent already, change the two bushes on the rear axle. It transformed our car so much you could feel the differnce from the passenger seat while driving along sedately, never mind giving it big licks. I got my bushes from AllGermanParts for about 8quid each iirc. Front arms will make a big difference too, but its a much greater cost, and if your doing them, Meyle or Lemforder are the only options worth bothering with. Finding a set of sport shocks and springs will also make a big difference to how it drives.

I've no idea what the ignition system is like on the 8v motor, but i'd start by giving it a good service. New plugs and if it has them leads/distributor cap/rotor arm etc.

Also be worth checking for fault codes, and if it does it consistantly, it might even be worth doing a live log up the revs to see if anything shows up. For example a slightly dodgy crank sensor might lose signal momentarily at high revs causing the blip.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

5th Gear

Status
    aragorn - bushes might help but there is no way that it will handle better than focus (even if it's quattro)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    I'm not really sure you can call the accelleration afforded by a 1.6 engine "reasonably quick"

On the handling, if you havent already, change the two bushes on the rear axle. It transformed our car so much you could feel the differnce from the passenger seat while driving along sedately, never mind giving it big licks. I got my bushes from AllGermanParts for about 8quid each iirc. Front arms will make a big difference too, but its a much greater cost, and if your doing them, Meyle or Lemforder are the only options worth bothering with. Finding a set of sport shocks and springs will also make a big difference to how it drives.

I've no idea what the ignition system is like on the 8v motor, but i'd start by giving it a good service. New plugs and if it has them leads/distributor cap/rotor arm etc.

Also be worth checking for fault codes, and if it does it consistantly, it might even be worth doing a live log up the revs to see if anything shows up. For example a slightly dodgy crank sensor might lose signal momentarily at high revs causing the blip.
    I'll try the plugs etc

As for the performance, I've a ZX9RE1 I get my high speed kicks from, and believe me it'd make your AEB engined A4 feel like a snail
    Not to concerned about the handeling, will make the twisty bits more fun once I get used to the wallowing in treacle feel lol

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Well my point is its not supposed to wallow about like treacle, its broken...

Ours drove normally, didnt scream "i'm knackered" or do anything untoward. But changing two bushes for 15quid transformed the drive so much it felt like i'd just fitted new shocks and a lowering kit...

I'm well aware the AEB isnt fast, its power to weight ratio is similar to that of an old 8v Astra GTE or a Pug 106 rallye, which is mildly warm if anything. Its certainly not quick. The fact you ride a ZX9R makes it even stranger that you called it quick :P

While a car is clearly never going to match the straight line performance of the bike, if i was used to driving an 9R i dont think i could face getting into a car that slow!

Slepy: I'd put money my money on the quattro. Front suspension setup on the A4 is better and it has 4wd. People bang on about the weight over the front axle, but completely fail to consider that pretty much ALL fwd cars with transaxles have the engine and most of the transmission sat entirely infront of the axle line. At least in the A4, the majority of the weight of the transmission is behind the axle line helping to balance out the weight of the engine.

3rd Gear

Status
    Handling could be better compared to a Focus? Get out - even a FWD A4 handles like a dream!

A4 1.8TQS

5th Gear

Status
    I had B5 2.8Q and 2.0 Focus and have to say that these cars are completely different BUT
    FWD Audi doesn't stand a chance with focus in the corners. My B6 behaves like a naughty, heavy girl in the corners.
    Quattro will be very close but 2.8 did like to throw it's front out of the corner when pushed to hard.
    Have to say that my focus was lowered on weitec springs though...

6th Gear

Status
    Have you ever change the fuel filter? I've seen the exact same fault on a TDi and it was a fuel filter at fault, changed it and all was good.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Have you ever change the fuel filter? I've seen the exact same fault on a TDi and it was a fuel filter at fault, changed it and all was good.
    Have only owned the car for a couple of weeks
    I'm going to take a look under the bonnet at the weekend, clean all the electrical terminals first and see what that does.
    Then I'll start changing the items you've all suggested and see if that cures it

6th Gear

Status
    The fuel filter should cost you about 5-6, and takes about 5 minutes to change. It's just in front of the fuel tank and can be easily changed using a normal car jack. The fuel filter was never a standard part to change on a service so my guess it's still on the same filter, 15 years of cr@p in the thing, must have reduced the performance.

1st Gear

Status
    DO NOT get under the car if it is only on the spare wheel jack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    DO NOT get under the car if it is only on the spare wheel jack

I always throw the wheel I've removed or a spare underneath.

1st Gear

Status
    Many years ago my Grandmother had her gate posts replaced ( rotted through at ground level).
    The old ones were oak, about 12" square and each one ended up with a good 3' of solid wood - and they live in the garage to pop under whenever I do anything with a wheel off.
    I wasn't underneath when the jack collapsed on mine about 20 years ago...... just slowly and gently twisted forward until the rear drum was on the ground........

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I once had a flat on my old nova, didnt notice and drove for a good 10 miles at 50-60mph, before finally suspecting something wasnt right and it was handling a bit funny.

Nova has the same dogleg jack as the A4, and i'd lifted the car up and tried to get the wheel off. Unfortunately the distance i'd driven meant the wheel was positively roasting and stuck fast onto the hub. after lots of pulling with not much luck i decided to try and shock it off, so applied a few bootfulls to the wheel, at which point i heard a bang, the wheel came off, and the car landed on the axle, all in a split second.

After recovering my senses i realised the jack was now on its side with the sill sat firmly on top of it, and the underside of the axle was touching the tarmac...

Luckily there was three of us, so we managed to lift the arch and get the jack out, and then lift it enough to get the jack back under and lift the car back up. Fitted the spare, to discover it only had about 8psi in it, so cue a very slow drive back to the filling station to blow it up!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audijarvis View Post
    I always throw the wheel I've removed or a spare underneath.
    I did the exhaust on my Golf using only the spare wheel jack and a spare wheel for support... Those were dark times. Surprised I lived to tell the tale...

A4 1.8TQS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voteforpedro View Post
    I did the exhaust on my Golf using only the spare wheel jack and a spare wheel for support... Those were dark times. Surprised I lived to tell the tale...
    I'm only going to change the fuel pump.

When it comes to changing the exhaust I'll get the mothering law to climb under